Notices

TPMS Minimum Pressure

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
phantomblackgto is on a distinguished road
Name: Martin
phantomblackgto's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS Minimum Pressure

I have searched everywhere, and I cannot find out what, if any, the minimum pressure is for the Toyota TPMS sensors. Does anyone have any idea?

I know the system is supposed to detect a 25% change in tire pressure. When you reset the system, is it just establishing the new baseline pressure for the 25% change calculation? In theory, if there is no minimum pressure requirements, couldn't you just reset the baseline pressure to the surrounding air pressure (with the sensors out of the wheels), leave the sensors in your glove box, and be good to go? I know this wouldn't work if there is a minimum pressure requirement, or my interpretation of the reset process is incorrect.

I have read that those that build the "pipe bomb" seem to set the pressure to 15 psi or so. The only reason I could see that this would be necessary is if there is indeed some minimum pressure requirement.

Any insight would be appreciated. I'm just trying to figure out some way to get around this TPMS b.s. when changing wheels. Thanks.