Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Magnum Plus Balancing Compound

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery

http://www.magnumbalance.com/

http://www.magnumbalance.com/

My letter to the company follows...they state on the website that there is a money back gaurantee, we'll see.

I do however stand by Bear Tire, this is not their fault and are a GREAT tire shop and have/are working with me to make it right.

To whom it may concern,

I purchased your product today from a local tire shop (on their recommendation) and had them install it as per your directions into all four of my 265/75/16 BF Goodrich All Terrain KO tires, D load rated. They put one Insert bag weighing 10.5oz into each wheel assembly, reset the bead, and reinstalled the wheel assemblies to my 2005 Toyota Tacoma...I than hit the highway for a test drive. it took me around two miles to get to the on ramp, so far at speeds under 35mph, nothing noticeable up to the point where I entered the on ramp to join highway traffic. At around 45-50mph the truck started to shake like crazy, like I had cinder blocks for tires, continued to accelerate up to 65mph in hopes that things would smooth themselves out, no luck. At 65-75mph the vibrations continued, not just a shimmy either, it scared me. I pulled off on the next exit ramp to allow for a stop in hopes that the beads would redistribute themselves, no luck. I tried this over the course ofabout 15-20 miles; nothing seemed to remedy the situation. There were however about 3 miles out of the trip that I would say the ride was acceptable, not great, only acceptable (there was still an imbalance detected). This three mile period was not congruent, it came in spurts. It also seemed that if I held a constant speed; say 70mph, for any amount of time, the worst it would progressively get.

I returned to the shop where I purchased them from and reported my experience. The owner stated that he had never installed them on an LT tire, only OTR semi truck tires and at that it was still a new product to him. The only way for him to remedy the imbalance situation experienced in all four tires was to use a traditional spin balance with external weights. Now I have external weights on the wheels as well as your product inside my tires.

I feel as though I should have just gone with a traditional spin balance with lead weights over your product in the first place, I am not happy as that is basically what I ended up with. Well my wallet took a pretty hefty hit in trying your product, which I feel did not work. I was charged $18.00 a bag X4= $72.00 not cheap for something that doesn't work for me.

Any assistance you might provide in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

The product was purchased at:

Bear Tire, Inc.

5757 North Broadway

Park City, Kansas 67204

I paid $18.00 a bag X 4 = $72.00

Please see attached receipt...

Your thoughts?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
yep, I was skeptical and figured I'd give it a shot as most reviews were positive and the lure of never having to rebalance sounded good (perhaps to good to be true?). live and learn

from their website...
Quote:
Final note - there are a few times when Magnum Plus may not give a satisfactory balance in off-road, specialty or custom wheels - factors vary enormously, and are hard to predict. If a fitment has not worked out for you, and you have followed our guide-lines, then we will gladly reimburse you the cost of the Magnum Plus.

in further investigation, it looks like they are customer focused and tend to make things right, based on other forums. One stated that they refund the cost of material to the shop, than the shop in turn takes care of you. I have the utmost confidance in Bear Tire.

Will let you guys know what happens

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Calmer than you are

jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
from their website...combination balancing
Quote:
BALANCING LOW PROFILE TIRES

Low profile specialty tires and custom rims for light trucks and SUVs represent a growing market, but also pose some special problems for tire balancing. In particular, ultra low-profile light truck tires are hard to balance, since most custom rims will not accommodate fixed weights at the rim, but require that the weight be installed somewhere in the centre of the rim itself.

If the heavy spot on the tire lies roughly in the centre of the tread, then you will likely get a satisfactory balance. However, if the heavy spot lies over towards the shoulder area, then a good balance may be difficult to achieve.

In many cases, Magnum Plus balancing compound may be able to help you out. Firstly, if the tire is 60 series or higher, then Magnum Plus on its own should provide a satisfactory balance – just follow the regular instructions for installing Magnum Plus..

However, for light truck tires of 55 series profile or less, Magnum Plus alone may not give you a satisfactory balance, for the same reason as described above – namely, that since Magnum Plus tracks roughly around the centre of the tread, then it may have difficulty in correcting for a heavy spot located in the shoulder area of a low-profile tire.

In these cases, we recommend a combination balance. That is, you combine Magnum Plus with a static electronic balance.

Just open the appropriate Magnum Plus INSERT™ packet along its seam, and place it into the tire during installation. Then carry out a static balance of the wheel assembly
I don't have low profile tires...

maybe the width / height ratio is too great for this system?

Also, in further reading their site; They seem to be covering their asses by way of their verbage. Basically saying it may work for you, than again it may not, one must read between the lines to come to this conclusion.

Hopefully they make me happy...
Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Calmer than you are

jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
update

FANTASTIC CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Quote:
Hi Jarod,
I am sorry you have been having trouble with the balance of your 265/75R16 tires. I talked with Don at Bear Tire Inc, and left a message for you.

I understand from Don that your tires are new retreads, and were between 8-9 oz out of balance, which explains why they installed 10.5 oz of Magnum Plus - normally, the recommended amount for this tire size would be 4.5 oz.

If your tires are in fact 8-9 oz out of balance, I do not think that the Magnum Plus balancing compound will help, and that you would be best to return the tires to the retailer.

Since both you and Bear Tire have acted in good faith, we will re-imburse you the $72 you spent on installing Magnum Plus, and will send you this amount via PayPal to your email address.

Before we do, please could you confirm that the email address you have shown is your personal one, and not a business/institutional one.

If however you still need to get these tires balanced, I would suggest reducing the amount of Magnum Plus to approximately 4.5 oz, and leave the fixed weights in place on the tires.

Regards,

Ian Savidge,
Marketing Manager
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Calmer than you are

jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Why can't more companies be like this? Breathe of fresh air, if ya ask me.
This level of service makes me wish the product would have worked for me...

Quote:
OK, my last email today…the payment went through Jarod, in the of amount of 72.00 + 7.3% sales tax, for a total of 77.26 USD.

Have a wonderful afternoon, and if you ever need more help, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us again. It was a pleasure.

Sincerely

Debbie Chapman

M & R Tire Products Inc.

138 First Ave W., PO Box 948

Simcoe ON CANADA N3Y 5B3

Ph (519) 428-4252

Fax (519) 428-1173
Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Calmer than you are

jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
Congrats on the cash back! Great customer service for sure. I guess I would look into it on a car but not a truck.
I have never experienced customer service on this level, especially rare in this day and age. One email and less than twelve hours later and I am offered a full refund from the manufacture, unheard of by me.

Honestly I think their product does work, given the correct variables. I am inclined to believe that the installer put in more than was needed for my application. The manufacture recommends 4.5oz for our tires, not 10.5 as was installed.

The way to go about it would probably be to spin the wheel assembly to determine the amount of weight needed and adjust the amount of compound accordingly.

The shop had never installed this in anything other than big rig tires until I showed up...experiment failed.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome