Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Thinking About Changing my 17" stockers to a 16" wheel - I have a couple of questions

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking About Changing my 17" stockers to a 16" wheel - I have a couple of questions

As the title says I am thinking about changing my stock 17" TRD sport wheel to a 16" wheel and then running 265/75/16 tires. My questions are as follows:
  • Do I just take the TPMS out of the stock wheels and put them in the new ones?
  • Do I need to replace my stock spare wheel and tire too?
  • Is there anything else I should be considering?
The reason for wanting this change is I prefer the look of a smaller wheel and 16" tires are less expensive and look bigger/more aggressive.

Any help is appreciated...Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns Taco View Post
16" wheels will not clear the rotors.
WTF? How so when the non TRD Sports have 16s?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Worked on my 2011. 16x8 Moto Metal 951 4.5 bs 0 off set. Unless there is something different on the 12's then it should work pending the wheels. Some 16's wont work and some will from what I've read.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Certain year tacomas have very close clearance. I once mounted stick on weights on the inside of the rim and the calipers were hitting the weights, ( I used to work for Toyota) this isn't all tacomas but some have a lot of clearance and some almost have none. Not sure why.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I won't have an issue with clearing the rotors. I don't think the rotors on a TRD sport are any different then the TRD OR and the OR comes stock with a 16" wheel.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My 16" XD's did
Old 05-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
Worked on my 2011. 16x8 Moto Metal 951 4.5 bs 0 off set. Unless there is something different on the 12's then it should work pending the wheels. Some 16's wont work and some will from what I've read.
This is what I'm looking at a 16x8 4.5 (0 offset)
Old 05-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrustic View Post
You have to be careful though, I remember a thread on here where someone ordered the same specs on a different wheel and they didn't clear. It depends on the particular wheel. When I got mine I knew many on here already had these so I knew they would work.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #10
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kev
06tacomakev's Tacoma Gallery
It's not the rotors that give you problems. It is the calipers. Tough finding a 16 that will fit. make sure it is a spoke design. Good luck
Old 05-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jamie
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The reason for wanting this change is I prefer the look of a smaller wheel and 16" tires are less expensive and look bigger/more aggressive.

Any help is appreciated...Thanks!
Did you price out the tires? On my old car, I went with a smaller rim only to find out later there was about a 5-10 bucks difference per tire.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #13
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kev
06tacomakev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It is so touchy. I just sent back some 17's that had the same offset. I tried forever to find 16's that worked. Gave up and am now looking for seventeens. Got the duratracs for 17's. Just got to find the wheels. Very frustrating as I thought I had it beat with some 17 inch Daytonas, but they stilll hit the caliper.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
  • Do I just take the TPMS out of the stock wheels and put them in the new ones?
    Yes, the stock TPMS will work... most of the time. When I switched wheels, the OEM TPMS sensors wouldn't seal properly against the new wheel, causing air leaks, so I bought new sensors. Others with the same wheel reported the OEM sensors fit fine.
  • Do I need to replace my stock spare wheel and tire too?
    The spare would be 1" smaller, not an issue for short-term use. Stay in 4x2 and disable VSC when running the spare.
  • Is there anything else I should be considering?
    Brake caliper clearance as others have mentioned. Stick with wheels that others on TW have fitted successfully. I took some pictures after installing mine:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...ml#post4586183
    You may need new lugnuts. Aftermarket wheels tend to require conical seat lugnuts. The OEM wheel studs are short to save weight. Depending on the specific wheel pad thickness, extended-thread lugnuts may be required to grab onto a sufficient number of threads.
    265/75-16 tires may rub the mudflap depending on wheel offset. Husky makes mudflaps that provide greater clearance.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #15

My tpms worked just fine with my aftermarket wheels. Discount Tire mounted mine up, only had to buy the "rebuild kit" for them.