Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Falken Rocky Mountain 265/75/16 review

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Falken Rocky Mountain 265/75/16 review

So I bit the bullet and got set of brand new tires. I had three different kinds of tires on the truck, fronts had less than 2/32 of tread left and I had screws in two tires. I went to discount tire and bought Falken Rocky Mountain 265/75/16 ATS 10ply load E for $151/tire. The total was $878. I got the replacement warranty and they had an offer going for $130 in rebates.

I got warranty and 10ply load E tires, because I get a nail or screw in one of my tires at least once every month or two. 10ply should help with that. Theoretically they shouldn't wear so quick because of the 1000-1200lbs of tools and supplies I have in my bed at all times.

To my surprise there is rubbing at full lock! I don't see how some of you stuff 285/75/16 on the Taco with stock wheels and no spacers. I have about an inch or less between the UCA and the tire...

I opted for 265/75/16, because bigger tire would only hurt my mpg more, which is horrible anyways.

So far I am happy with the Falken's they ride excellent for an 10ply AT tire. They are smooth on the highway, actually smoother than the Prodigy H/T tires I had on before. They look aggressive and make the truck look mean...lol Can't say anything about off road performance, have not had a chance to test that yet
Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
brett1586 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brett
brett1586's Tacoma Gallery
Have any pictures of the tires on the truck so we can see how "mean" it looks?

I've been looking at these tires myself...
Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett1586 View Post
Have any pictures of the tires on the truck so we can see how "mean" it looks?

I've been looking at these tires myself...
Not yet been busy with work. I will try to get some today...
Old 05-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Wheel and Tire Guys
Discount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant future

Discount Tire Direct's Tacoma Gallery
05Redtaco, Thanks for your support.

We have several people running that tire at the office. Everyone loves them.

Let us know your opinion if you get a chance.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I would never in my right mind ever put an E rated tire on these little V6 trucks.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you were able to get some new shoes bud!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine for over a year and a half. And can honestly say, they are the best tire I've ever owned. They have great on-road manners, and perform as good as you would expect for an all terrain to perform off-road. And they wear amazingly. Took them by discount tire where I bought them to trade them in on something bigger and the tech at the shop told me the tires had nit not worn at all since I had purchased them. So I decided to keep them and save the money. Even had them on my tundra and towed heavy trailers before I purchased my taco. Blows my mind how much they have worn. And they have at least 25k on them.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
1ugly baby is on a distinguished road
Army: Commo Dude(31C30S)
Name: Pat
1ugly baby's Tacoma Gallery
Just got mine

I just got mine on Tuesday, so far maybe 300 miles. I got to say, I am happy I went with them. $779.00 out the door at Discount Tires here in the Springs. So far they havent tried to track or anything.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Like a Boss ^
Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Like a Boss ^
LOL thanks! I thought of getting 285/75/16, BUT I would need wheel spacers, trimming, etc... Plus my already craptastic gas mileage would be even more craptastic...LOL

LOVE the Falken's they have NO road noise what so ever, which is great for 10ply load E A/T tire!
Old 06-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
My 08 had 245/75/16s on it when I got it used. I did not like how skinny they were and how it rode. At first I figured I'd just roll with them until they wore out. Wrong. My reg cab wasn't wearing them out any at all. I finally gave up and just went and bought some 265/70/16s and threw the rocky mountains in the storage unit. Traded them for 2 smoked briskets and 30.00. My truck was too light for those E loads, it road like there was 75 lbs of air in them, lol. They'll be better for OP's loaded down larger truck.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
My 08 had 245/75/16s on it when I got it used. I did not like how skinny they were and how it rode. At first I figured I'd just roll with them until they wore out. Wrong. My reg cab wasn't wearing them out any at all. I finally gave up and just went and bought some 265/70/16s and threw the rocky mountains in the storage unit. Traded them for 2 smoked briskets and 30.00. My truck was too light for those E loads, it road like there was 75 lbs of air in them, lol. They'll be better for OP's loaded down larger truck.
I hope the e loads will wear slow. I drive 20k+ a year always fully loaded with the crap in the bed... Anyone noticed my awesome backwards rake?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I put 10k on them of hwy miles and never noticed a bit of wear. My empty reg cab probably woulda rolled 60k trying to wear out what was left on them, lol. That being said, +2 on the E load puncture resistance. Never had any issue with that.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
Wheel and Tire Guys
Discount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant futureDiscount Tire Direct has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ugly baby View Post
I just got mine on Tuesday, so far maybe 300 miles. I got to say, I am happy I went with them. $779.00 out the door at Discount Tires here in the Springs. So far they havent tried to track or anything.

Thank you for sharing your initial thoughts with us here. We appreciate your support!
Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
i know its an old thread but might help for new buyers. I got mine last week. Discount trie has a sale on them now fopr $120 per tire. So far love them. here are pics

Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
Wheel and Tire Guys

Looks great death stalker. Thank you for sharing!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #19
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
How do the Rocky Mountain 285s compare to BFG AT/MT 285s in regards to overall size? I know BFG's tend to run smaller than other tires.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
Wheel and Tire Guys

Unfortunately we do not have the tires here to measure. We can look them up online at the manufacturers web site if you post the full size and which BFG tire you are looking at.