Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tire carnage! New tire/wheel suggestions needed.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Tire carnage! New tire/wheel suggestions needed.

Just cruising at 90 km/h (56mph) got a thumping noise, quickly turned to shaking then blew as a was pulling over. I had to idle on it for about 100 ft to get to a safe pull out to change it. It was the right rear. It was a BFG AT TA KO in an E load, 285/65/18.

I'm going to swap my stockers back on the time being. I like the look/reputation of the duratracs. They're available in a:
275/65/18 (32.1")
275/70/18 (33.4")
295/65/18 (33.1")

I've got 5100s to go on up front, stock UCAs, air bags out back but there's lots of room there anyways.

I think the 295s are out, the current 285s are already pretty tight on the UCAs. I was thinking the 275/70s would be nice, a little narrower and a little taller than what I'm running now. Will a 33.4" tire fit?

Also anyone know where to source that wheel? I don't think it's damaged but when I get new tires I'd like to get a matching spare. It's out of production. It's an MKW M28 gloss black machined. Depending on pricing I wouldn't be totally opposed to 5 new 17's and new 17" rubber.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on good deals on wheels or tires or a lead to get a matching rim. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Full wheel info if anyone has a lead:

MKW M-28
18"x9" size, 6"x5.5" bolt pattern, +10 offset.
Gloss black machined finish
Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #4

fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'm not sure why it happened. I was recently towing on it (glad I wasn't when it blew) but everytime I hook up the trailer for any kind of journey I check the tires. They had 50psi in them last time I checked (week ago) and I didn't notice that it was low or anything since.

Been checking tire prices and there's very little difference between 17" and 18" so I'll stick with the 18s. 32.1" or 33.4"...hmmm?

Will a 33.4" spare fit underneath? I think there's a topic for fitting a 33".
Old 05-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoLife08 View Post
Glad to hear your alright! time to buy some Nittos
Old 05-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #7

fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Just realized in the duratracs that:
the 275/65 is approved for a 7.5-9" rim
the 275/70 is approved for a 7-8.5" rim
the 295/65 is approved for 8-10" rim

So I guess the 275/70 is out since I've got 9" rims. I would have thought of the 275s the higher sidewall would fit a bigger rim not the other way around, oh well. So a 275 x 32.1" or a 295 x 33.1"
Old 05-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
There were a couple of years of production issues with those tires. Treadwright (retread tire company) stopped using the BFG A/T casings of certain production dates due to this issue.

Destination A/T would be my recommendation.

EDIT: If you're liking the looks of the Duratracs, I'd steer you towards the Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx. The Goodyear Duratracs are known to have slightly softer sidewalls.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light...-S-T-MAXX.aspx

Available in 275/70R18
Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
TacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really niceTacoLife08 is just really nice
Air Force:
TacoLife08's Tacoma Gallery
295: Looks Better, Worse Gas Mileage, possible trimming.
275: Better Gas Mileage, no trimming, doesnt look as good as the 295
Old 05-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
Sproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud of
Sproulesxrunner's Tacoma Gallery
I had a blow out on my Jeep too. Different brand of tire but it looks like it is in the same location. Never hauled or did anything with those tires
Attached Thumbnails
Tire carnage!  New tire/wheel suggestions needed.-100_1077.jpg   Tire carnage!  New tire/wheel suggestions needed.-100_1078.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Im surprised those didnt rub on the uca with +10 offset.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
love my duratracs! had both the bfg a/ts and now the duratracs...duratracs hands down.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #14

fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
I like the look of those Coopers, they're only rated to a 8.5" rim though, same as the duratrac size I originally wanted.

For now it's a toss up between the Duratracs and the Nitto Trail grappler MT in a 285/65/18. (32.8")
Old 05-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvtalon View Post
They had 50psi in them last time I checked (week ago) and I didn't notice that it was low or anything since.
50 PSI seems awfully high and might be why the center of the tread appears to be wearing more than the outside. Too high of a tire pressure can cause failure just as much as too low. An E-load tire on your truck shouldn't have needed more than 36 PSI, and that's a high estimate.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
50 PSI seems awfully high and might be why the center of the tread appears to be wearing more than the outside. Too high of a tire pressure can cause failure just as much as too low. An E-load tire on your truck shouldn't have needed more than 36 PSI, and that's a high estimate.
Yep way too much pressure. And OP are you sure they weren't rubbing on the upper control arms? Those wheels aren't spec'd right for 285s
Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a local quote for these BFGs, $1460 for 6 of them mounted. But I think I might give the Treadwrights a shot, under $1000 shipped to my door for 6 and it'll be $25 per to mount so Ill save a nice chunk of change.

EDIT: 4 mounted and 2 Spare
Old 05-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #19

fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, 50 psi is too high for running empty, I usually drop them to 32psi when I'm running around empty. I upped them to 50 for a longer tow with a heavy trailer though. The max load rating is on the BFGs is at 80psi though so it's not like I was exceeding the maximum pressure.

Why do you say the rims are wrong? The offset? BFG specs a 8-10" rim for my tire size, 9" is right in the middle. There's not a ton of room at the UCA but I don't think it's rubbing. There's about an inch of clearance and no rub evidence I can see on the UCA paint or tires. I've got my swaybar on too so I don't get a ton of articulation up front.

Granted I rotate my tires but the blowout was on the outside of the rear tire so I don't see how it could be a UCA issue.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #20
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvtalon View Post
Yeah, 50 psi is too high for running empty, I usually drop them to 32psi when I'm running around empty. I upped them to 50 for a longer tow with a heavy trailer though. The max load rating is on the BFGs is at 80psi though so it's not like I was exceeding the maximum pressure.

Why do you say the rims are wrong? The offset? BFG specs a 8-10" rim for my tire size, 9" is right in the middle. There's not a ton of room at the UCA but I don't think it's rubbing. There's about an inch of clearance and no rub evidence I can see on the UCA paint or tires. I've got my swaybar on too so I don't get a ton of articulation up front.

Granted I rotate my tires but the blowout was on the outside of the rear tire so I don't see how it could be a UCA issue.
Yes the offset is high, but with the 9" wide wheel its pulling the tire far enough out for it to barely clear. I would imagine with mud tires (especially nittos, among the most aggressive sidewall around), you will rub.