LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Full size matched spare (Jeep style)

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Mike
fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Full size matched spare (Jeep style)

Anyone run a full size matched spare? As in 5 nice alloy rims with matching AT or MT tires and a 5 tire rotation like you'd have in a Jeep? I need tires and managed to locate a matching rim so I'm thinking about doing this.

The cons basically boil down to cost and where do you put it. The pros would be once you do buy tires they should last 20% longer because each gets a rotation into the spare position. Also if you have a flat you replace it with a matching tire with matched wear and a matching rim so you're back on the road with no traction imbalance, diameter difference, load capacity or ugliness.

Another thing is insurance in the event of a catastrophic tire failure on a maybe a half worn set of tires. What do you do? A new MT or AT will have a fairly signifigant tread depth difference or you can hope to find a used tire with similar wear. Or put two on and throw out a tire that's still half good...

Beyond weighing the cost/benefit issue my other concern is putting a nice alloy rim under the truck. Anyone done this? How beat up does it get?

I use my box too much to have a spare sitting in it so a bed mount or a tailgate mount isn't an option. I like the look/utility of a roof basket with roof mounted spare but I'm not willing to give up the mileage.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Dromlace is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Dromlace's Tacoma Gallery
you can mount a 33 under your truck
Old 05-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
fvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the roughfvtalon is a jewel in the rough

fvtalon's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, thanks, I think you have to cut those front tabs and it'll fit. I'm more curious how a nice wheel will stand up to road debris and stuff while mounted under there.

I suppose you could plasti-derp it. It does peel off after all... hmmm...
Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
I have a full size spare with OEM TRD 16" wheel in my bed.. Why not just throw it back there that way if you have a flat you can get it out and on your truck in minutes. If you ever need to put anything in the bed you can place it upright for room.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ar-bumper.html

You could get a nice armored rear bumper with a tire carrier built in.
x2. I wouldn't put an alloy wheel under the truck to get beat on by road debris and rocks. In the event you need to run a spare, who cares what it looks like as long as it's the right size? Just throw a taller tire on the OEM spare wheel and be done with it.

Unless you're rock crawling and slice a sidewall, you're more likely to use a tire plug kit than use the spare anyways.