1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need a little wheel advice!

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by slcnbldr, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Jun 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    slcnbldr

slcnbldr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    20% tint on the front windows. 8-15-13 Installed Icons front and rear with Dakars. 2012 4Runner wheels with 275/70/17 BFG T/A KO2's. Weather Tech mats front and back. Leer shell with Leer Locker and roof racks.
    Ok so I was going to try and pull the "chrome clad" off my stock wheels and powder coat but I'm not sure how much of a pain in the ass it will be to remove the clad. So I'm looking to put 18" 2011 Tundra wheels (see below) on my 2012 DCLB will they fit with the right tire? And will they look good? The 275/65/18's won't fit till I do the Bilsteins so I was going to put my stock 18's on them. Then I will sell the "chrome clad" stocks wheels. Or do I just look for some FJ 17" wheels which I think look good too. Thanks for the help guys.

[​IMG]

2. Jun 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    Aggiesdm

Aggiesdm Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD OR 4X4
    SnugTop topper, WeatherTec mats, thats all for now
    These look like 5 lugs. Not to be too obvious, but make sure you have a 5 lug setup and not 6 lugs. By looking for FJ wheels, it sounds like you have a 6 lug setup, because I don't think FJ wheels come in 5 lugs? Just a suggestion.

3. Jun 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    12Tac

12Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab, Long-bed TRD Off Road.
    SnugTop, FN Wheels, Meso Custom, Tacos4Cheap
    I'm in the same perdicament with my '12 Tacoma. The "clad wheels" just look cheap IMO. I'm thinking about ditching them in favor of the FN BFD wheels. While there is really nothing wrong with the stock wheels I just think they look stupid and I personally hate chrome anything.

12Tac

4. Jun 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    slcnbldr

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    20% tint on the front windows. 8-15-13 Installed Icons front and rear with Dakars. 2012 4Runner wheels with 275/70/17 BFG T/A KO2's. Weather Tech mats front and back. Leer shell with Leer Locker and roof racks.
    Yes you're correct I do have 6 lug and those are 5...so damn determined to change wheels I didn't even notice. See what TW has done to me!!!

5. Jun 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    slcnbldr

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    12Tac - I like the BFD's too just wanted to do something different and now I may be forced to try removing the chrome and do the powder coat. I was hoping to see pictures first but I may be the guinea pig on this one. I think they will look good and will post if I do it. I was thinking of trying it on my spare first since there is no chrome but center caps may also pose a problem.

6. Jun 10, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    12Tac

12Tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab, Long-bed TRD Off Road.
    SnugTop, FN Wheels, Meso Custom, Tacos4Cheap
    If you can get a good power coat (color, adhersion, etc.) you might have a following.

I've always thought - "why couldn't car manufactures do custom builds and JIT manufacturing?" You'd think there would be a market for folks who could sit at a dealership, speck out how they want their FJ, Tundra or Tacoma and in 5-8 weeks it arrives. Yes, I know the scale of economy, JIT manufacturing and the real issues involved and the fact that manufactures product in mass numbers to make a profit, but I seriously think this concept could work.

12Tac

7. Jun 10, 2012 at 4:19 PM
    slcnbldr

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    I'm going to go for it and destroy the "chrome clad". As for color since my DCLB is white I will do Anthericite.

8. Jun 10, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    TacomaGus

TacomaGus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gus
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD Sport DC
    Tinted Tails, TRD Shift Knob, Kenwood Headunit, Ebay BHLM Lights, Trimmed Mud Flaps, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's, WeatherTech Mats, Black Badges, Sylvania ZXE Bulbs, AFE Stage 2 Si Intake, 17x8.5 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, URD SS, Custom 2.5" Catback with Aero 2525 and Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF CAL, JBA LT Headers, OME 884's, Nitrochargers, Dakars with 3rd lead removed, Light Racing UCA's
    you don't need to go through the whole stripping and powdercoating process. Just sand, clean, primer and paint. I've done it to two sets of my stock wheels with good ol rustoleum gloss black paint and they both came out great, even did it to my current aftermarket wheels.

ton of threads on how to paint your wheels. prob be $20 total for paint primer and sand paper

9. Jul 18, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    Mobyman

Mobyman Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Did you get that chrome cladding off yet? Anxiously waiting to see the finished project.

10. Jul 18, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    slcnbldr

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    Sorry I decided against it once I realized I'd need to figure out what to do about a center cap as well. Plus that clad was going to be a bitch to remove.

11. Oct 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    oemwheelguy

oemwheelguy Member

Member:
    Just so you know, the wheels are designed so that the claddings are permanently fused to the wheel and not replaceable. But if you really want them off I am sure you will find a way to do it. I would recommend you find a reseller of remanufactured wheels to take them off your hands. If you need recommendations on who does buy them send me a PM. NOTE This is not a commercial and I do not work for any reseller

Products Discussed in

To Top