Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Options other than lift to fit bigger tire?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
brp is on a distinguished road
brp's Tacoma Gallery
Options other than lift to fit bigger tire?

Yesterday I asked about adjustable lifts and got great responses, it looks like a dead-end for my needs.

TC Bob's sticky lets me know that I can fit...

For 2005+ Tacomas: 265/70/17 or 265/75/16, depending on what size wheels you have

...with stock suspension.

My question is what is the limiting factor if I go with a bigger tire on stock suspension?

If I get new UCAs or do some cutting, can I fit a bigger tire? What is the first thing that will rub? Can it be addressed short of a lift?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Banned
Shemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shedShemicals is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Shemicals's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Yesterday I asked about adjustable lifts and got great responses, it looks like a dead-end for my needs.

For 2005+ Tacomas: 265/70/17 or 265/75/16, depending on what size wheels you have

My question is what is the limiting factor if I go with a bigger on stock suspension?

If I get new UCAs or do some cutting, can I fit a bigger tire? What is the first thing that will rub? Can it be addressed short of a lift?

Thanks
cut your frame, remove your body panels, then make custom body parts out of paper mache.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
brp is on a distinguished road
brp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemicals View Post
cut your frame, remove your body panels, then make custom body parts out of paper mache.
I am sure that all applies at some point. But can I get an extra inch of tire with something more minor.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am sure that all applies at some point. But can I get an extra inch of tire with something more minor.
cab mount chop and trim the fenders. you need to do this even if you do get a lift, or else you wont be able to use any up-travel.

Remember, a lift only lets you fit bigger tires at ride height. At some point in time, your suspension will travel and the wheel will be at stock ride height location, and it's gonna hurt.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
why do you want such big tires without any sort of lift?

if it's for wheeling purposes, when you flex the big tires they will just tear up the fender, and you'll HATE it.

if it's for looks.. big tires on a stock truck looks ugly IMO

you will spend MUCH less money in the long run by getting a small lift, then tearing up body panels
Old 06-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
Whats the point of bigger tires with no lift?
people get lifts to fit bigger tires. Bigger tires = more clearance between rear diff/axle and ground, and front control arms and ground.

If you can fit big ass tires without a lift, then you get more clearance with lower center of gravity.

Same reason why short course trucks and trophy trucks sit so low with 40"+ tires:

poor example haha:
Old 06-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
people get lifts to fit bigger tires. Bigger tires = more clearance between rear diff/axle and ground, and front control arms and ground.

If you can fit big ass tires without a lift, then you get more clearance with lower center of gravity.

Same reason why short course trucks and trophy trucks sit so low with 40"+ tires:

poor example haha:
Yes but his truck will be stock suspension not extensively built long travel with tucking huge tires in mind.

I see no trucks like the one pictured on the roads.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks
the money you'd spend on aftermarket UCA's could cost just as much budget suspension lift where you get to keep your stock ones fyi.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
Yes but his truck will be stock suspension not extensively built long travel with tucking huge tires in mind.

I see no trucks like the one pictured on the roads.
true, but i've seen a couple members with 100% stock suspension with 33s. They did extensive trimming, but it looked really good. One of them is long beach taco or LB taco or something.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You originally wrote:
Quote:

I use my truck for work, driving clients around, so I need to keep it "professional." However, I would like to lift it slightly.

Are there any options that allow me to have an adjustable lift? I have a second set of wheels and tires so I could have my "fun" set-up and my "professional" set-up.
If you run bilstein 5100s at 1.75" in the front, an "add a leaf" in the back, and 265/75R16 tires with a more agressive all-terrain tread on your stock rims - pretty much only "expert" tacoma owners will even be able to notice your truck is "lifted."

Everyone else will simply think it's got a look like it's been "hitting the weight room" but they won't be able to put their finger on why.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #12
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My question is what is the limiting factor if I go with a bigger tire on stock suspension?

Thanks
Ever consider 255/85/16's?

I'm only rubbing a slight portion on my front towards the back of the wheel well and I got jack for lift. My caster is at 2.6* and that's obtainable for stock if memory serves me correctly.

The rear stuffs up just fine and will never rub

front (black crap is structural silicone that was holding my mud flaps on) I could use a little trimming, but nothing I'm worried about anytime soon. Next time I rotate Ill cut a little bit off.

edit: And these rub LESS then the 265/70/17's I have sitting on my deck.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I could clear my 35s with stock suspension, but I cut 2" out of the sheet metal

for 33s you can cut your body mount back, if you need to at all, and trim lots of plastic, it's doable! If you have to, throw a small spacer under your bump stop and push your caster forward as much as you can.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I remember someone put 285's on a stock set up and either cut off or removed the fender liners and did lots of trimming. 265 will fit with little trim.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
I remember someone put 285's on a stock set up and either cut off or removed the fender liners and did lots of trimming. 265 will fit with little trim.

But did they wheel it? I know guys with 285's, 1" body lift, 3" suspension lift, extensive trimming, fire wall beating, and they still rub.

Thats why I went with 255/85's. I get the clearance of a large tire without all the BS. To me 3% narrower tire then a 265/70 is worth is especially since I have never been stuck due to lack of floatation.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #16
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
You originally wrote:

If you run bilstein 5100s at 1.75" in the front, an "add a leaf" in the back, and 265/75R16 tires with a more agressive all-terrain tread on your stock rims - pretty much only "expert" tacoma owners will even be able to notice your truck is "lifted."

Everyone else will simply think it's got a look like it's been "hitting the weight room" but they won't be able to put their finger on why.
^^^^Ding ding. Winner^^^^_^`
Old 06-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Ever consider 255/85/16's?

I'm only rubbing a slight portion on my front towards the back of the wheel well and I got jack for lift. My caster is at 2.6* and that's obtainable for stock if memory serves me correctly.

The rear stuffs up just fine and will never rub

front (black crap is structural silicone that was holding my mud flaps on) I could use a little trimming, but nothing I'm worried about anytime soon. Next time I rotate Ill cut a little bit off.

edit: And these rub LESS then the 265/70/17's I have sitting on my deck.
You're running bone stock suspension?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #18
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
You're running bone stock suspension?
No, but I'm also not "lifted"

King 2.5 remote resi front shocks #25001-119
King 700# front springs #e300-14-700
Total Chaos UCA's #96504
FK stainless steel uniballs #wssx16t (required in salt belt IMHO)
TSB springs #48210-04570 & 48220-04210 (overload leaf removed)
Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL #whe mp3
Bilstein 5100 rear shocks #bil be5-c478-to (too short - need to upgrade)
Wheelers front & rear superbumps (rears mounted to frame)
AP U bolt flip kit

AAL is flat and Kings have 4 threads showing. My truck rides just about stock height.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
How about 255/75/17. That's the size I think I am going with when I wear out my stockers. It seems like if 255/85/16 fits with minimal rubbing so 255/75/17 will fit with no issues. I think you could also go with Billies set at .85" or even 1.75" and know one will really know.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
No, but I'm also not "lifted"

King 2.5 remote resi front shocks #25001-119
King 700# front springs #e300-14-700
Total Chaos UCA's #96504
FK stainless steel uniballs #wssx16t (required in salt belt IMHO)
TSB springs #48210-04570 & 48220-04210 (overload leaf removed)
Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL #whe mp3
Bilstein 5100 rear shocks #bil be5-c478-to (too short - need to upgrade)
Wheelers front & rear superbumps (rears mounted to frame)
AP U bolt flip kit

AAL is flat and Kings have 4 threads showing. My truck rides just about stock height.
how is that not lifted? if the 5100's are too short, then you are taller than most guys who run them with 1.5'' - 2'' just fine..

and you have king front springs and remote resi front shocks, those are stock height? I'm confused..

wait I didn't read the last line, I guess I get it.. but weird haha