1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel balancing and Alignment insight needed

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by THROUGHITALLDUDE, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

THROUGHITALLDUDE [OP] Someone didnt put the tailgate down!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    Hey guys!

So recently my truck was pulling right and getting noisy almost as if i had a flat tire or really heavy mud tires on the front left tire of my truck. I took it to goodyear got it aligned and figured I would get my tires and wheels balanced while at it. I spoke to the tech without telling him what I heard he then without my bias confirmed my assumption and he told me my front left tire was WAY! out of alignment but every other tire was fine. Than he said when he balanced my rims and tires its best to put the balance weights down the middle on the backside of the rim. He said the guy who did it before him put them on the outside and inside of the back on the rim therefore I have prob been driving around on unbalanced rims and tires. SO what I am facing now is when I drive my truck my tires are now louder in the rear because he did rotate them and there is a slight vibration only when I am coasting with no gas coming from the rear. I figured that front left tire was moved back there and due to the unbalanced rims and tires since I have bought them they prob were wearing incorrectly before and now they are wearing correctly so they are going to be a little rough until they even.

Is this true? what do you all think?

Sorry for such the long story.:confused::confused::confused:

2. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I usually find my MTRs to be a little louder after tire rotation.

3. Jun 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    285-75-17 Definity ATs - 16'' Chrome Moto Metal 951s - 4'' Maxtrac spindles - Rear Icon Progressive Leaf Pack - Magnaflow exhaust - Aftermarket LED Taillights - BHLM - Custom Wet Okle Seat Covers - Moog Tire Rods - US Spec Ipod - K&N High Flow Filter - Daytime Running Lights - TRD Skid Plate - Grillcraft - Hellas Mounted behind the grill
    I forgot to add that I just have all terrains tires......do you think that these sounds and the rougher ride is from all of this than?

4. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
  5. Jun 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    anyone? any input?

6. Jun 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    So if I get what you're saying... your front tire or tires cupped but now they're on the back and you solved the issue of why they cupped in the first place?

Then...

They may make some vibration for a while but run em off road some if you can, and run em on road and you'll be alright. They probably will fix themselves.

Just my .02

7. Jun 26, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    On the alignment, with the left front tire being "out" (toe angle I assume), you got your pull. Bad toe angles can (and will) cause tire wear. Toe wear is very similar to unbalanced tire wear (cupped). Both will create high and low spots that can easily be felt by running your hand over the tire. Toe wear will typically effect a larger area of the tire, moreso than unbalanced wear. Balance wear is typically more delegated to the innner edges.

If the tires were unbalanced...how many? How badly?

Will you get noise from the tires at this point even if they have been balanced properly, the tires are still worn the they are worn.

How many miles on your 05?

8. Jun 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    THROUGHITALLDUDE

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 Silver Tacoma
    I have 120,000 miles on the truck. Thanks for the advice guys I really hope its just uneven wear that will go away with some time. I guess well see how things look after a little while..... I guess Ill just take max's advice and hit some dirt =P

9. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I'm just saying if you get in some trail days that chew up the tires a little bit, I think it can only help. Not saying it'll fix it miraculously lol. I do think if you've got the problem fixed and they're not too bad they'll sort themselves out after a while.

10. Aug 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    Nutzo333

Nutzo333 FreakShow333

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, 315/70 r17 Duratracs, TRD Cold Air Intake MBRP stainless with duel side exit rear exhaust
    Are you running stock tires or larger off road tires? There is many reasons for extra howl for your tires. I knoe with my 35's they are defiantly louder after a rotation. The tire expert I talked to explained in great detail about tire tracking (even on perfectly aligned tires) and a whole lot more. But what I found helped my taco with vibrations... ditch the wheel counterweights all together. After about 5000 miles, your tires will have warn and be out of balance again. Instead, what I have installed in my taco is a tire balancing compound. I was sketchy as heck when he told me about it... but after some research, and the fact that the tire shop wrote out an agreement that if i was un happy with the results, they would remove the compound, and add weights at no charge. Well, I still have the compound and im very impressed. Plus the added bonus of my tires being balanced for life... I cant argue with that. Might be worth your while to look into it. Saved me money.

Products Discussed in

To Top