Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

2012 18" Chrome Clad Wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
slcnbldr is a jewel in the roughslcnbldr is a jewel in the roughslcnbldr is a jewel in the roughslcnbldr is a jewel in the rough

Name: Anthony
slcnbldr's Tacoma Gallery
2012 18" Chrome Clad Wheels

So today I picked up my spare wheel after having it powder coated and this is what I got.

I hate the stock "chrome clad" but liked the spare without it but seeing this I LOVE IT!!! Only problem is I now have to try and remove the "chrome clad" which I was about to do last weekend. I even removed a wheel and tapped on the clad from the backside and it's on there pretty good so I just stopped. My buddy who did this for me said just get the clad off and any residue left behind will come off during sandblasting process. He did this for free to see what it would look like and will charge me $150 to do the set of 4 and paint the caps so I figure I really cannot go wrong.

I haven't seen anyone attempt this yet but I'm willing to try. What do you guys think?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
Me likey.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
slcnbldr is a jewel in the roughslcnbldr is a jewel in the roughslcnbldr is a jewel in the roughslcnbldr is a jewel in the rough

They look even better up close because they don't taper in like the Sequoia/Tundra wheels.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I've been waiting for someone to get these blacked out and put on a truck. I think they will look great.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #6

KPT - Any ideas on the easiest way to remove the chrome clad? I know it will be tough but any advice is welcome.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcnbldr View Post
KPT - Any ideas on the easiest way to remove the chrome clad? I know it will be tough but any advice is welcome.
It's just plastic, rip it off and if it break, it breaks. Maybe not the answer you want but it's what i would do
Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #8

My thoughts exactly...IT'S ON
Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcnbldr View Post
My thoughts exactly...IT'S ON
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
Chaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really niceChaloots is just really nice
Chaloots's Tacoma Gallery
they look great blacked out. ive only had my 2012 trd sport for 1200 miles so far and i hate the chrome. i was thinking of going the krlyon fusion route and just sanding and painting the chrome cladding.

does the center cap fit with the chrome cladding removed?

is the inside of the wheel powdered coated just beyond the spokes? its hard for me to tell froom the pics.
thnaks in advance
Old 06-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stan
Me Likey TRD's Tacoma Gallery
That looks really stinkin' awesome!

Keep up the good work.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
MSU Spartan is on a distinguished road
MSU Spartan's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, looks great! Can't wait to see pictures of them on the truck.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
malay4785 is on a distinguished road
Name: Malay
malay4785's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same rims and am looking to have them powder coated or plastidipped. Any pics with the final product on your truck?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #14
jefftheskier is on a distinguished road
Royal Canadian Air Force: cpl
jefftheskier's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the part # of your spare wheel?