Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

*sigh* Cupping... Need advice

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Question *sigh* Cupping... Need advice

Hey guys, a little lost here. Sitting here at Americas tire and they said my front tires are cupped. My alignment is in spec and this is their first rotation at 5k miles. The Psi is in spec as well. little confused. I orriginally thought they were out of balance but when I got here they said the balance won't help anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tires are 35x12.50x17 Fierce Attitude MTs. Lift is a 6" pro comp stage 1.

Ps. Les schwab wanted $95 to do this, AT will do the rotation/balance for free (plus I did not buy the tires from there). Good peeps here..
Old 06-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Gauge View Post
Could it be a tie rod issue?
No clue, just ha the alignment done then checked again. I have no pulling or anything like that. With the DB lift, everything is at almost stock angles.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Cupped tires are caused by out of balance tires, and/or bad shock absorbers, normally. Could also be bent wheel, broken tire belt causing it.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Got back awhile ago. Americas Tire just did the rotation and not the balance. They said the balance would be useless due to the cupping. Now I got a bad steering wheel shape from about 45-55mph. About 1" of play to the left/right while driving. They said this is normal and that I will just have to "drive" it out. Is THAT normal?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Reading Tire Wear

if it is really "cupping/scalloping" and not "feathering", I'd check to make sure your shocks and bushings were in good order.

Good luck.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
cupping is caused by out of balance, bad shocks will amplify

feathering is toe (alignment)

If you're alignment is good, as in the toe is like 1/16" or less, then look at the balancing. Rotate the cupped tires to the rear after you have them all rebalanced.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
LDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LDurchy's Tacoma Gallery
I had a cupping issue with my first new car, 1970 Plymouth Duster. It was equipped with Good Year Custom Power Cushion tires. This was the early times for belted tires. After rotation, the belts would start to creep around the tire and alter the balance. A good tire shop may be able to examine the tire and confirm. This fellow I went to ran his hand over the tread and said he could feel the belt out of place. A different set of tires and the problem was history.

He explained that from the factory the tires were accustomed to rolling one way. The rotating made them roll the other way, so the belts lost their internal 'grip' and moved.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mexico Taco View Post
All the previous suggestions were good. my expiernce was aggressive oversize tires on a Chevy Suburban cupped tires. Friends Chevy Blazer did the same. it happens alot according to a friend at Desert Rat. Not what you wanted to hear but my .02$
I have yet to meet a Tahoe that will evenly wear a tire.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Question

So guys do you think the steering wheel play is from the cupping or should I get them balanced again anyways?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

get them balanced
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
yeah balance them.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Freakin' goodyears....

Balance em', keep balancing them and don't buy GY's next time.

My $.02 anyway...
Old 06-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Freakin' goodyears....

Balance em', keep balancing them and don't buy GY's next time.

My $.02 anyway...
No but these are "FIERCE"....I know I know
Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I've been having this problem with my work truck. I just got them rotated and they smoothed out after a couple thousand miles on the rear.

I think that in my case it's a matter of a heavily loaded truck with not much weight on the front tires. I figure they are getting scrubbed across the pavement every time I turn a corner with any kind of speed (freeway ramps, etc).

If your shocks are healthy and the tires are balanced and not shaking the truck, you may just have to rotate them more often. Sometimes modified rigs are just more maintenance.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Went back today to Americas Tire and they still wont rotate them, saying its a waste and that I need to just drive it out. Gonna try another shop tomorrow. The shaking is pretty bad in the steering wheel, that cannot be good to be left alone.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
No but these are "FIERCE"....I know I know
Yeah..."FIERCE"ly out of round.

(just horsing around, don't take it the wrong way)
Old 06-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Yeah..."FIERCE"ly out of round.

(just horsing around, don't take it the wrong way)
No sweat, all good
Old 06-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
No sweat, all good
I do feel for ya'. That wheel shake shit is annoying.

Try another shop, 1. Get a Road Force Balance if you can, 2.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #20

That's piss poor. Call discount/americas tire and bitch. They ought to rebalance all of those and then rotate the cupped to the rear.

Edit: Ah, didn't catch you didn't buy from them. In that case, go where you bought them. Or pay someone else to have it done. Or at least balanced, then rotate yourself.