1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel space question

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by whitefoxshift, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    whitefoxshift

whitefoxshift [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi

I have just been offered a smokin deal on a set of 18 aftermarket rims and tires but the hub cut out on the new rims is too small for my 07 tacoma crew 4x4. If I order wheel spacers it will push the wheel out too far and look odd ... any suggestions to make these rims work .... besides machining the new rim hub cutout .... ???? the aftermarket rims are lug centric (cone) drilled as well.

2. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So the wheels in question are hub-centric for a Chevy, right? That would be the combo that would work on our trucks, save for the 78mm hub bore they have. Just because they have conical seat lug holes does not mean they are lug centric. 99% of aftermarket wheels are conical seat.

A machine shop can further bore the hub bore out for you. I've seen it done several times on here.

3. Jun 28, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    whitefoxshift

Member:
    thks ... I will call the local machine shop and see what it will cost .... by chance does anyone have the specific diameter and depth of the hub housing on my 07 Tacoma .... I would like to know the exact info. Also the tires are a 285/65r18 .... if I machine the rim to fit (rim offset is just over 5 inches) do you think I will have rub issues?

4. Jun 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    Tacoma hubs are 106mm.

The wheels have over 5 inches of backspacing year mean? That's cutting it really close for UCA rubbing. How wide are the wheels?

5. Jun 28, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    The definition of lug centric: wheels that have a conical lug seat.

It does not matter if the hub is precise, too large, or off center... conical lug pockets forces the wheel to center to the lugs and is the definition of lug centric.

6. Jun 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    I've never heard of that definition before. So you would say that if a wheel has conical seat lugs, and a precise hub ring or bore, that it is both hub centric and lug-centric at the same time? :notsure:

7. Jun 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    The definition of hub centric is a wheel which uses a precise hub bore as its method of centering. The only way it can do that is if the lugs cannot force the wheel to center (factory style flat base lugs) due to allowable play. If the hub were as tight a seat as the lug seats on a lug centric wheel the wheel could not be slid on by hand due to excessively tight clearance issues.

8. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    My factory wheels (Gulf States Toyota wheels), and my current wheels (BBS's from an 04 tundra limited) are hub-centric, factory wheels, and both have conical seat lug nuts from the factory. Not all hub centric wheels have shank and washer style. The clearance issue you are talking about would only occur if the hub and studs were machined out-of-spec.

I think and easier way to think of it is that if a the weight of a wheel is supported by the hub, it must be centered by that hub, so it's hub centric. If the weight of the wheel is supported by the lugs, it's lug centric.

Here is another example of a hub-centric wheel that uses 60 degree conical seat lugs.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-61988536/

9. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
    Here are a couple more hub centric v lug centric comparisions:

http://tires.about.com/od/understanding_wheels/a/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric-wheels.htm

http://www.prestigewheel.com/Catalog/HubRings66_67.pdf

10. Jun 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    Maysville06

Maysville06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Pre-runner SR5 Long bed
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust,20% window tint all around, Weather tec rear floor mats, Blacked out badges,Mudflaps removed,JDM black aftermarket headlights,black grille, running boards removed,Nightshaded tail lights,TRD Sport suspension,3in leveling kit in front,2in blocks in the rear,blacked out rims, Reese class III receiver hitch
  11. Jun 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:
  12. Jun 29, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    Maysville06

Maysville06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Pre-runner SR5 Long bed
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Flowmaster Exhaust,20% window tint all around, Weather tec rear floor mats, Blacked out badges,Mudflaps removed,JDM black aftermarket headlights,black grille, running boards removed,Nightshaded tail lights,TRD Sport suspension,3in leveling kit in front,2in blocks in the rear,blacked out rims, Reese class III receiver hitch
    i was just asking a general question not in relation to the chevy.. sorry

13. Jun 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    whitefoxshift

Member:
    I talked with spidertrax and they don't make a spacer with a hub centric reducer .. which would be a cool thing ... but .... no luck

http://www.spidertrax.com/Toyota-Hub-Centric-Spacer?sc=2&category=9982

If I machine them, (per one of the reply posts) I am concerned with the rub issue .... I could machine them AND put spacers in but I am thinkin it will too costly and I may end up with fender rub .... think I will pass on these wheels and tires ...

Just for mention ... yes the aftermarket rims are a chev bore but they also come drilled as a conical lug mount as well ... Spidertrax makes a Tacoma spacer for that would work if I purchased conical lug nuts .... but I am concerned at the appearance with a 1.25" plus spacer as they are a big wheel and tire .... I think will go with a set of 17 tires on my stock rims and bump the series to a bit bigger tire ...

thks for everyones help on this

Products Discussed in

To Top