Notices

Wheel space question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
whitefoxshift is on a distinguished road
whitefoxshift's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel space question

Hi

I have just been offered a smokin deal on a set of 18 aftermarket rims and tires but the hub cut out on the new rims is too small for my 07 tacoma crew 4x4. If I order wheel spacers it will push the wheel out too far and look odd ... any suggestions to make these rims work .... besides machining the new rim hub cutout .... ???? the aftermarket rims are lug centric (cone) drilled as well.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefoxshift View Post
Hi

I have just been offered a smokin deal on a set of 18 aftermarket rims and tires but the hub cut out on the new rims is too small for my 07 tacoma crew 4x4. If I order wheel spacers it will push the wheel out too far and look odd ... any suggestions to make these rims work .... besides machining the new rim hub cutout .... ???? the aftermarket rims are lug centric (cone) drilled as well.
So the wheels in question are hub-centric for a Chevy, right? That would be the combo that would work on our trucks, save for the 78mm hub bore they have. Just because they have conical seat lug holes does not mean they are lug centric. 99% of aftermarket wheels are conical seat.

A machine shop can further bore the hub bore out for you. I've seen it done several times on here.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
thks ... I will call the local machine shop and see what it will cost .... by chance does anyone have the specific diameter and depth of the hub housing on my 07 Tacoma .... I would like to know the exact info. Also the tires are a 285/65r18 .... if I machine the rim to fit (rim offset is just over 5 inches) do you think I will have rub issues?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefoxshift View Post
thks ... I will call the local machine shop and see what it will cost .... by chance does anyone have the specific diameter and depth of the hub housing on my 07 Tacoma .... I would like to know the exact info. Also the tires are a 285/65r18 .... if I machine the rim to fit (rim offset is just over 5 inches) do you think I will have rub issues?
Tacoma hubs are 106mm.

The wheels have over 5 inches of backspacing year mean? That's cutting it really close for UCA rubbing. How wide are the wheels?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Just because they have conical seat lug holes does not mean they are lug centric. 99% of aftermarket wheels are conical seat.
The definition of lug centric: wheels that have a conical lug seat.

It does not matter if the hub is precise, too large, or off center... conical lug pockets forces the wheel to center to the lugs and is the definition of lug centric.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
The definition of lug centric: wheels that have a conical lug seat.

It does not matter if the hub is precise, too large, or off center... conical lug pockets forces the wheel to center to the lugs and is the definition of lug centric.
I've never heard of that definition before. So you would say that if a wheel has conical seat lugs, and a precise hub ring or bore, that it is both hub centric and lug-centric at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Some factory wheels have a centerbore that matches exactly with the hub to reduce vibration by keeping the wheel centered. Wheels with the correct centerbore to the car they will be mounted on are known as hubcentric. Hubcentric wheels take the stress off the lug nuts, reducing the job of the lug nuts to center the wheel to the car. Wheels that are not hubcentric are known as lugcentric, as the job of centering is done by the lug nuts assuming they are properly torqued down.
Centerbore on aftermarket wheels must be equal to or greater than that of the hub, otherwise the wheel cannot be mounted on the car. Many aftermarket wheels come with "hubcentric rings" that lock or slide into the back of the wheel to adapt a wheel with a larger centerbore to a smaller hub.[3]
Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I've never heard of that definition before. So you would say that if a wheel has conical seat lugs, and a precise hub ring or bore, that it is both hub centric and lug-centric at the same time?
The definition of hub centric is a wheel which uses a precise hub bore as its method of centering. The only way it can do that is if the lugs cannot force the wheel to center (factory style flat base lugs) due to allowable play. If the hub were as tight a seat as the lug seats on a lug centric wheel the wheel could not be slid on by hand due to excessively tight clearance issues.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
The definition of hub centric is a wheel which uses a precise hub bore as its method of centering. The only way it can do that is if the lugs cannot force the wheel to center (factory style flat base lugs) due to allowable play. If the hub were as tight a seat as the lug seats on a lug centric wheel the wheel could not be slid on by hand due to excessively tight clearance issues.
My factory wheels (Gulf States Toyota wheels), and my current wheels (BBS's from an 04 tundra limited) are hub-centric, factory wheels, and both have conical seat lug nuts from the factory. Not all hub centric wheels have shank and washer style. The clearance issue you are talking about would only occur if the hub and studs were machined out-of-spec.

I think and easier way to think of it is that if a the weight of a wheel is supported by the hub, it must be centered by that hub, so it's hub centric. If the weight of the wheel is supported by the lugs, it's lug centric.

Here is another example of a hub-centric wheel that uses 60 degree conical seat lugs.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-61988536/
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a couple more hub centric v lug centric comparisions:

http://tires.about.com/od/understand...ric-wheels.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tires.about.com
Most aftermarket wheels are therefore made with larger hub diameters to ensure that they will fit on a wide range of cars. This means that when the wheel is installed, there will most likely be a space between the axle and the hub instead of a firm contact. The wheel is therefore lug-centric, as the wheel is centered by the lugs rather than by the hub. There are some people who will say that driving on lug-centric wheels doesn't really matter as long as the lugnuts are the self-centering cone type, as they will adequately center the wheel. These people are wrong. Driving on lug-centric wheels means that any impact will apply shear force to the lug studs, forces at 90 degrees to those the studs are designed to handle.
http://www.prestigewheel.com/Catalog/HubRings66_67.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigeWheels
Q: Exactly, what does hub centric mean?

A: Hub centric wheels are manufactured so that when they
are installed on a vehicle, the wheels are located directly
off of the center flange of the brake drum or rotor.
This is done to insure that the outer beads of the wheel are
concentric with the wheel bearings. The result is a much
truer, better balanced tire/wheel assembly. This is very
important with modern hightech suspension systems.

Q: What about the phrase “Lug Centric”?
Isn’t it just as good?

A: NO! Lug centric is a marketing phrase made up by the few
manufacturers who don't offer hub centric wheels.
Their theory is that if the wheels are drilled for conical seat
lug nuts, then the wheels will self locate.
Surveys have shown that most installers just hang the
wheel/tire combination on the studs and put on the lug
nuts expecting the angle of the conical seat to pull the
wheel/tire combination into concentricity.
Recent tests by several major wheel manufacturers have
shown that when the above mentioned mis-locating
occurs the studs actually bend down slightly thus creating
an artificial out-of-round condition by as much as .0025
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maysville06 View Post
so if your going to get hub centric..... you couldnt do these then http://www.motorcitybolton.com/wheel...-adapters.html

based on the fact that the hub bore is to small??
You can't get those no matter what because they won't fit on your hubs to begin with. Those are for a chevy (78 mm hub bore)
Old 06-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
I talked with spidertrax and they don't make a spacer with a hub centric reducer .. which would be a cool thing ... but .... no luck

http://www.spidertrax.com/Toyota-Hub...&category=9982

If I machine them, (per one of the reply posts) I am concerned with the rub issue .... I could machine them AND put spacers in but I am thinkin it will too costly and I may end up with fender rub .... think I will pass on these wheels and tires ...

Just for mention ... yes the aftermarket rims are a chev bore but they also come drilled as a conical lug mount as well ... Spidertrax makes a Tacoma spacer for that would work if I purchased conical lug nuts .... but I am concerned at the appearance with a 1.25" plus spacer as they are a big wheel and tire .... I think will go with a set of 17 tires on my stock rims and bump the series to a bit bigger tire ...

thks for everyones help on this