Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

pro comp 7089 series and tire question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
KJK is on a distinguished road
KJK's Tacoma Gallery
pro comp 7089 series and tire question

Sorry to post this but I read through alot of info and I'm not confident to make my own decision without asking directly. I have an 09 tacoma 4wd with 3inch pro comp lift and I'm wondering if the 7089 series 16x8 pro comp rims with 0mm offset and 4.5"backspace will work with tires up to 275/85/16 without having to make any body modifications. Should I go with rims that have 4" backspace instead? Whats the biggest tire that will work without cutting up fenders?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK View Post
Sorry to post this but I read through alot of info and I'm not confident to make my own decision without asking directly. I have an 09 tacoma 4wd with 3inch pro comp lift and I'm wondering if the 7089 series 16x8 pro comp rims with 0mm offset and 4.5"backspace will work with tires up to 275/85/16 without having to make any body modifications. Should I go with rims that have 4" backspace instead?
These are 7089s with 285/75R16 and maybe 1.5" lift. They barely hit fender flare when turned and bounced. They have yet to hit body mount, a-arm, or frame. I haven't done any "trimming" either.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
KJK's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the quick response. Would my 3inch lift help any with clearance or is that just a matter of less backspace? Would it be a better decision for me to choose the rim with a 4" backspace?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
KJK's Tacoma Gallery
anymore advice?
Old 06-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
KJK's Tacoma Gallery
So I placed an order with 4wheelparts.com on the 7089series 16x8 and they told me I needed to go with the 17x8 to clear the caliper on the 09 tacoma. Is this true with any 16x8?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I placed an order with 4wheelparts.com on the 7089series 16x8 and they told me I needed to go with the 17x8 to clear the caliper on the 09 tacoma. Is this true with any 16x8?
They are wrong. They always tell people that. Several members run the 7089 in 16 with no issues.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
They are wrong. They always tell people that. Several members run the 7089 in 16 with no issues.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have 7089 16x8 with 4.5 BS and they fit fine....but I have the TRD off road which came with 16" rims, I have seen people with the sports that come with factory 17" have issues fitting other rims like Micky Thompson but not the 7089 that I can remember
Old 06-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
KJK's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys I emailed pro comp directly and I'll see what they say about it. I really don't see why they wouldn't fit since the factories are 16" as well.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks guys I emailed pro comp directly and I'll see what they say about it. I really don't see why they wouldn't fit since the factories are 16" as well.
The only way I see them hitting the caliper, is if when balancing, they stack the sticky weights more than 2 high. In that case, the weights would hit the caliper.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Pro comp is owned by 4 wheel parts, so they will tell you the same thing I'd imagine.

Products Discussed in this Thread