Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

OK, I'm gonna buy BFG All Terrain TA's ?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
dalexander is on a distinguished road
dalexander's Tacoma Gallery
OK, I'm gonna buy BFG All Terrain TA's ?

I do mostly highway driving with snow and ice in winter and quite a bit of rain other times. Some gravel roads and dirt roads with pot holes heading to the rivers. 08 Sport dc short bed. My question is, do I need the 10 ply or 6 ply? I know there is a load difference but what else is there for the price difference? Thanks for your input.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #3
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
There should be a price difference between c and e ratings. Look it up online or call tire shop for pricing.

Get the c rating.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
the 6 ply will ride much nicer, and the 10 ply will resist punctures better.

I like the 6 ply, but I'd suggest getting them siped, it will help your icy/ snowy road performance.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
I was also looking at the Goodyear DuraTrac. How do they rate with the BFG's? Looks like all I need is the 6 ply. Don't mind spending for the 10 ply but seems like a little overkill?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
overkill for sure, they are heavier and don't ride as nice either.

duratracs are great too, and they are better in the ice than the bfg's from my experience with both.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
Thanks for the help, I'm gonna look into the DuraTracs a little more
Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I got D rated... Right in the middle lol
Old 06-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #10
MSU Spartan is on a distinguished road
MSU Spartan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthefawker View Post
The bfg all terrains suck in snow,ice and heavy rain.
Agree with this. Had them last year and they sucked in the snow. They are a good looking tire (one of the best IMO) but don't perform well. I'm going with Hankooks this year. I agree with th e previous posts, if you are worried about punctures get the heavy ply. Otherwise go with the 6.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #11

rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I'd have to disagree about them "not performing" in ice, no they aren't good, but i've yet to find a tire that is good in ice.

I ran my last set of bfg's until they were almost flat, and I was still climbing hills in the summer that my buddy couldn't get up with much more tread on a different tire.

they are a great tire, I think siping them should do the trick this winter, that's my plan.