Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

3" Lift, 16x8 with 285s on 2nd Gen?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
3" Lift, 16x8 with 285s on 2nd Gen?

Trying for the life of me to figure this one out. I've run a few different setups, and a buddy of mine is looking at running this one. He was told by a local shop that he could run a 3" lift, 16x8 with a 0 offset and 285/75/16s without issues. The guy said there would be minor modifications required to the plastic, but that's it. Really curious if any of you guys are running this setup and what all was required to do so. I've run setups with less wheel outside of the fender walls and had rubbing, but maybe I just didn't trim enough? At any rate, I just really want to confirm that he's not going to have to chop cab mounts to run this setup.

I'd love to hear from your experiences if you've run this on your rig. Pics just to show it off are perfectly welcome
Old 07-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
eltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud ofeltaco has much to be proud of
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
The answers I find here will determine whether I change my setup or not. Hope someone has some insight for me.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on if you/ He wheels the truck 285's will rub no matter how much you trim. For street driving plastic can be trimmed and have no rubbing issues. you might need UCA's to push your castor forward to stay clear from the cab mount. But the first time you take it off road you will see 285's rub no matter how they are set up.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
It all depends on if you/ He wheels the truck 285's will rub no matter how much you trim. For street driving plastic can be trimmed and have no rubbing issues. you might need UCA's to push your castor forward to stay clear from the cab mount. But the first time you take it off road you will see 285's rub no matter how they are set up.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm running camburg UCAs and he'll be running Light Racing UCAs.

My main concern is will it hit that cab mount. That's a whole other level of correcting rubbing.

As I'm setup now the only rub I've seen is on the frame at the inside of the wheel at full lock under compression. Just enough rub to wear the coating off.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltaco View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I'm running camburg UCAs and he'll be running Light Racing UCAs.

My main concern is will it hit that cab mount. That's a whole other level of correcting rubbing.

As I'm setup now the only rub I've seen is on the frame at the inside of the wheel at full lock under compression. Just enough rub to wear the coating off.
Your really not going to know until you put the tires on. if you wheel the truck you will need to do the cab mount chop mod there is just no way around that. It's really easy to do if you can weld or know someone that can.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Toytec 3 inch lift and 285-75-16 BFG on factory TRD rims with no rubbing and factory UCA's
3" Lift, 16x8 with 285s on 2nd Gen?-truck-2.jpg
3" Lift, 16x8 with 285s on 2nd Gen?-2012-06-20-19.02.38.jpg
Old 07-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmreyes1 View Post
I have the Toytec 3 inch lift and 285-75-16 BFG on factory TRD rims with no rubbing and factory UCA's
Attachment 158431
Attachment 158432
Have you had your LCA all the way to to bump stop with no rubbing?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Have you had your LCA all the way to to bump stop with no rubbing?
Yes

I know one day I will be doing something that will require some trimming, but so far no issues
Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
Raddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Russell
Raddbus's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3" spacer lift, 285/75/16, had to cut just a little plastic, Stock UCA's, no rubbing now. Couldn't be happier.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
masshole taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Big Daddy
masshole taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have 285x75.r16 with a 3inch lift and I had to some trimming.. I run dick cepek's and I believe they have 4.5 of backspacing but don't quote me..
Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
Raddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Russell
Raddbus's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks OffroadToy
Old 07-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmreyes1 View Post
Yes

I know one day I will be doing something that will require some trimming, but so far no issues

Yeah once you really stuff the tires you will find you need to trim mor then you thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddbus View Post
I have a 3" spacer lift, 285/75/16, had to cut just a little plastic, Stock UCA's, no rubbing now. Couldn't be happier.

I can tell just from your pic you would rub off road I know not everyone wheels their truck but if you did you would rub. Im just trying to tell the OP his options for a street truck to mild fire roads you wont have to trim much. Start stuffing your tires and flexing out the rear and you will be rubbing all over.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
TJ'sTOYCOMA

Quote:
Yeah once you really stuff the tires you will find you need to trim mor then you thought.

I can tell just from your pic you would rub off road I know not everyone wheels their truck but if you did you would rub. Im just trying to tell the OP his options for a street truck to mild fire roads you wont have to trim much. Start stuffing your tires and flexing out the rear and you will be rubbing all over.
I went to an off road park here in Texas and was very surprised the I did not rub. We were taking level 3 trails. I bet the one day I make a sharp turn and hop a little curb it will rub. I did have to put 1.25 spacers though
3" Lift, 16x8 with 285s on 2nd Gen?-spacer-1.jpg
Old 07-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
I have 285/75/16s on a 16x8 wheel with -12 offset (4" bs) with a 3" suspension lift, 1" body lift and I had to trim like a mofo but they fit pretty good now
Trim plastic only or any metal Fab? That's even further out than either my buddy or I are considering.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddbus View Post

you need an AAL to get rid of the bro lean.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I don't find much enjoyment in low-speed rock crawling and wheeling, nor do I jump my daily driver (very high). I guess it's all what you're after. I do like high speed dirt roads, but regardless of what you hit on that, you'd best not have your wheel turned very far while driving at speed or you have more to worry about than some rubbing

I ordered the spacers and I'll see what modification would be needed to run them. If I determine it'll create enough problems to warrant frame modification, I'll ditch the spacers and stick with where I'm at.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Im running a 3" as well blisten 5100 and eibach springs with top plate spacers. 285's and same rim size as well.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Army:
eltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTaco07 View Post
Im running a 3" as well blisten 5100 and eibach springs with top plate spacers. 285's and same rim size as well.
What size wheel and what offset? How much trimming?

That's really what I'm trying to dial in on.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltaco View Post
What size wheel and what offset? How much trimming?

That's really what I'm trying to dial in on.
285/75/16 bfg A/T 16x8 Xd hosses 0 offset 4.53 back spacing. None I let the tires burn down the little bit of rubber they hit not much at all though.