Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

GY MT-R as daily tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
AFZ is on a distinguished road
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
GY MT-R as daily tires?

Here is my issue. My new 05 AC 4X4 needs tires bad. I bought it thinking they where good but it turns out the inner quarter strip on all four is completely bald. The rears are even starting to bubble.

Now the truck drives straight just fine, so is would such wear be from failure to rotate, or is it from some sort of an alignment issue? (How the hell does a rear solid axle get out of alignment?).

Second, I want MT-Rs. To me they are the coolest most bad ass tires ever. However the issue becomes I live in Indiana/Michigan and I really dont do any mudding. I go to the Dunes frequently for fun in the sand, but serious mudding or rocking crawling is not my thing. I also have to contend with snow and ice.

So despite all my want, is the MT-R really a good idea? Will my gas mileage be ravaged? Im getting 19.7mpg now with 265/70/R16, I intend to go 265/75/R16.

Others options

Cooper Discoveries ATP - $600, 55K warranty
Good Year Duratrack - $887 No Mileage Warranty ($60 back)
Good Year MT-R - $883 No Mileage Warranty ($80 back)

My heart wants MTRs, my mind says get the Coopers.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I have no experience with them, but I've heard that the new MTR's suck in the sand. If you plan on dunes, they may not be your best bet. Coopers are great tires, look into the STMaxx for something more aggressive. My Hercules Trail Digger M/T's are phenomenal in the sand.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Twat did you say?
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
love my duratracs no complaints at all with them, been in sand, mud, off road... No ice yet but they are sipped so im sure they will do great and the handle great on road and are very quite considering their tread pattern...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Most MTs are set up for off road & not on so you won't get the best traction in snow and will reduce MPGs.
If you want MTs for a DD I would sugest you run two sets of tires like I do.
I run the stock Dungflops for comnmuting (and will replace them with 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapros when they wear out).
And put on my mudders 255/85/16 BFG KM2s when I go off road.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
CalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
CalgaryRider's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the Duratrac's they are a great all around tire, great on the street (less noise then the BFG All-Terrains) great in the mud, snow and sand.

I do probably 60 miles a day for work on them, and I haven't had a single issue with them, on the road or off.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
My Hercules Trail Digger M/T's are phenomenal in the sand.
I'd love some Hercules but nothing is available locally.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
Also, the lack of a mileage warranty worries me on the Good Years.

I hear people say they get 60k out of both but given how bald my current tires are a warranty would let me sleep better.

Damn decisions.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I like myMT/R kevlars. I expect to get 30k out of them. But I replace with more tread left than some other folks do.

That said, doesn't sound like the best tire for your intended purpose.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my MTR's for almost 2 years now. 40K miles and I still have at least 10-15K on them.
I wheel them almost every other weekend and I drive on the street daily.
Check the link in my sig for pics of what I wheel.

They're badass tires. I have NO complaints.
I plan on replacing them with the same MTR's only in the 37" flavor when I SAS.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
AFZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I like myMT/R kevlars. I expect to get 30k out of them. But I replace with more tread left than some other folks do.

That said, doesn't sound like the best tire for your intended purpose.
Yeah, ordered the duratracs.