1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BFG KM - Daily Driver??

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by rangejeep, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:13 AM
    rangejeep

rangejeep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Found a killer deal on Jeep site for 255/75/17 BFG KM I would LOVE to install on my stock 2005 DC Taco TRD Offroad. But this is my daily driver and now with 3 young kids only seem to drive offroad once a year at the NC beach. Will these tires make a good daily driver? Honestly!! Or am I better off with AT tires? I hate to pass up good deal. Ya know?!?!

BTW my last used tire purchase of MT Cooper tires was a huge mistake! I was breaking my arms trying to keep it straight down the highway.

Help me out fellow TW folks.

2. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I have 255/80/17 km2s on my daily driver. Makes a little noise but the alignment is good. Would the 255/75s fit on a stock truck? My 255/80s are pretty tall.

3. Jul 6, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I ran the km1 for nearly 60k miles and they were my DD.

4. Jul 6, 2012 at 6:41 AM
    rangejeep

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    I came across a few threads that had 255/75/17 work on stock setup.

The BFG's KM looks to be poor in rain. It doesn't have the small slits in tread to help grab the pavement. That's one of my concerns. The wife does drive it time to time.

5. Jul 6, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    255/75/17 are basically the same height as 265/70/17 , should be fine

6. Jul 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Are these KMs or KM2s?

The KM2 has been out for quite a while. If they're original KMs, they may be getting to be pretty old - and tires do wear out from age as well as from mileage.

There's a site you can go to to figure out how to read the DOT stamp on the sidewall to figure out when they were manufactured. Google something like "DOT tire stamp age" or "how do I find out how old my tires are"

7. Jul 6, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    I had 35x12.5R17 KM2s on my dodge/cummins. I got 55k on them, and it was my DD. I was happy with them.

8. Jul 6, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    mh.meier

mh.meier Not PB Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    The Doctor
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Truck Norris Silver Unicornimus Prime
    2008 Tacoma DCLB 4X4 SR5 -Pelfreybilt Steel front single-hoop bumper (12+ conversion) -Baja Designs Squadrons -Baja Designs S8 20” -KM FABRICATION custom 1/4" steel bumper mounts -Warn ZEON Platinum 12,000lb Winch -Pelfreybilt Rear HI-Clearance bumper with swingout -NATO can carrier -Folding Aluminum table -RIGID SRQ reverse lights -Full Pelfreybilt skids -ARB air compressor under the hood -Custom CO2 Setup -KMFAB Custom ext brake line brackets -KMFAB Bedrack -Camping Lab MANSION RTT -ARB Touring 6' Awning -Litra Torch camping light -CTC Bed Cap, color matched -Toyota OEM bedmat -KMFAB bed reinforcement -Pelfreybilt Sliders -BAMF Bed corner tie down brackets -Custom chopped front fenders -OTTRAW switches -King Ext Travel front CO's -King 700# coils -Total Chaos Uni-ball UCA's -Sway-A-Way 2.0 rear ext travel shocks -OME Dakar HD pack with extra AAL -35" Falken MT01s -16" SCS SR8's in Black -Kustom 54 Retrofits -Smoked Tails -Airflow Snorkel -Cobra 29LX CB with PA and the fixins' -KMFAB CB antenna mounts -Pioneer in dash DVD with Nav -Weathertech mats
    I run the BFG MT KM2S on my daily and they are a little noisy but not shakey and they are mud terrains, you should be fine.

9. Jul 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    I keep re-reading your original post, and think you'll probably be happier with All Terrain tires.

I'm not reading that you want the MT for traction, or an agressive look. Further, you've previously been unhappy with some other MT tires.

The only reason to consider these is just because you might get a good deal on them.

Tires affect how the truck sounds, rides, performs. If truly the only consideration is cost - a good "All Season" tire will be inexpensive, run quieter, get better MPGs, and still meet your needs (when aired down) for a once-a-year beach trip.

Alternatively, a good "All Terrain" tire will be more durable, and, depending on the tire, better traction in the snow.

In fact, airing down has more to do with success on the sand than tread.

10. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    rangejeep

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Excellent insight Moose! Thanks Man. I'm an outdoors person at heart but with current suburban lifestyle might go with All Season for year or two.

11. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I think he means the original kms, that doesn't mean they are old, that size is fairly common amongst new jeep wranglers which comes with them from the factory. If I could I would buy a new set of those in 285s.

12. Jul 6, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    I have KM2's on my DD (255/85/16). They handle really well on the road and kept me alive when I was driving across the rivers that our streets became when we had that big storm on Friday.

They also seem quieter than other MT tires that I've had on other trucks and I have had no alignment issues caused by the tires (the lift is another story).

Unless you really push your tires off-roading on the few times you go you may want to look into the BFG A/T tires. My buddy has those on his Tacoma and he has almost no problem keeping up with me when we are off-roading. Usually his stock height is the limit for him.

13. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Wow, didn't realize BFG was still making the original KM under contract for Jeep. Learn something new everyday. :)

14. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    DTFtacoma

DTFtacoma Dezert Toy Fabrication Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Santa Maria, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner D-cab
    DTF LT front & rear
    For some reason I thought you where talking about KR not KMs lol

[​IMG]