Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

BFG KM - Daily Driver??

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
rangejeep is on a distinguished road

rangejeep's Tacoma Gallery
BFG KM - Daily Driver??

Found a killer deal on Jeep site for 255/75/17 BFG KM I would LOVE to install on my stock 2005 DC Taco TRD Offroad. But this is my daily driver and now with 3 young kids only seem to drive offroad once a year at the NC beach. Will these tires make a good daily driver? Honestly!! Or am I better off with AT tires? I hate to pass up good deal. Ya know?!?!

BTW my last used tire purchase of MT Cooper tires was a huge mistake! I was breaking my arms trying to keep it straight down the highway.

Help me out fellow TW folks.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I have 255/80/17 km2s on my daily driver. Makes a little noise but the alignment is good. Would the 255/75s fit on a stock truck? My 255/80s are pretty tall.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I ran the km1 for nearly 60k miles and they were my DD.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #4

I came across a few threads that had 255/75/17 work on stock setup.

The BFG's KM looks to be poor in rain. It doesn't have the small slits in tread to help grab the pavement. That's one of my concerns. The wife does drive it time to time.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
255/75/17 are basically the same height as 265/70/17 , should be fine
Old 07-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Are these KMs or KM2s?

The KM2 has been out for quite a while. If they're original KMs, they may be getting to be pretty old - and tires do wear out from age as well as from mileage.

There's a site you can go to to figure out how to read the DOT stamp on the sidewall to figure out when they were manufactured. Google something like "DOT tire stamp age" or "how do I find out how old my tires are"
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I had 35x12.5R17 KM2s on my dodge/cummins. I got 55k on them, and it was my DD. I was happy with them.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
RAGEAHOLIC
mh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 12th MAR HQ BTRY TAP
Name: MAD MIKE
mh.meier's Tacoma Gallery
I run the BFG MT KM2S on my daily and they are a little noisy but not shakey and they are mud terrains, you should be fine.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I keep re-reading your original post, and think you'll probably be happier with All Terrain tires.

I'm not reading that you want the MT for traction, or an agressive look. Further, you've previously been unhappy with some other MT tires.

The only reason to consider these is just because you might get a good deal on them.

Tires affect how the truck sounds, rides, performs. If truly the only consideration is cost - a good "All Season" tire will be inexpensive, run quieter, get better MPGs, and still meet your needs (when aired down) for a once-a-year beach trip.

Alternatively, a good "All Terrain" tire will be more durable, and, depending on the tire, better traction in the snow.

In fact, airing down has more to do with success on the sand than tread.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #10

Excellent insight Moose! Thanks Man. I'm an outdoors person at heart but with current suburban lifestyle might go with All Season for year or two.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I think he means the original kms, that doesn't mean they are old, that size is fairly common amongst new jeep wranglers which comes with them from the factory. If I could I would buy a new set of those in 285s.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
I have KM2's on my DD (255/85/16). They handle really well on the road and kept me alive when I was driving across the rivers that our streets became when we had that big storm on Friday.

They also seem quieter than other MT tires that I've had on other trucks and I have had no alignment issues caused by the tires (the lift is another story).

Unless you really push your tires off-roading on the few times you go you may want to look into the BFG A/T tires. My buddy has those on his Tacoma and he has almost no problem keeping up with me when we are off-roading. Usually his stock height is the limit for him.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I think he means the original kms, that doesn't mean they are old, that size is fairly common amongst new jeep wranglers which comes with them from the factory. If I could I would buy a new set of those in 285s.
Wow, didn't realize BFG was still making the original KM under contract for Jeep. Learn something new everyday.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #14
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
For some reason I thought you where talking about KR not KMs lol