Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Mud tire guys... I am seeking your input.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Geaux Tigers
pgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Royce
pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Mud tire guys... I am seeking your input.

I love the look of mud tires but am nervous to pull the trigger due to sound level and ride comfort on the street.

So mud tire guys, is the sound level on mud tires REALLY bad inside with the windows up? I have never owned a set and the only experience that I have with them is when I drive next to someone on the road who has some. Are there certain brands out there that are truly quieter that the competition? If so, which brands are they?

It's like, my common sense is telling me just to get an all terrain tire and be done with it but I just don't want to have regrets every time I look at the truck after dropping $2400+ into suspension, rims and tires.

Thanks for the input.

:banghead::banghead:
Old 07-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
eagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
eagle5521's Tacoma Gallery
I did my research and found that Nitto Trail Grapplers are fairly quiet and will stay that way if you rotate them regularly. Hence why they are going on my truck today!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough06yoda is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Engineman
Name: Tanner
06yoda's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of Kelly MTR's and they perform excellently offroad and you can't hear them with the windows down. I love them. As far as I can tell they don't wear that fast either.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
eagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
eagle5521's Tacoma Gallery
Just AT's personally, which is why I researched MT's prior to buying a set. Beside the normal internet searches, I went riding with a few friends who have different MT's. Nothin beats hearing and feeling it for yourself.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I've ran a set of km & km2s and I run trail grapplers now and they are way louder than the BFGs. I kind of like the noise though
Old 07-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Some tires are definitely louder than others. Firestone Destination M/T and Hercules Trail Digger M/T are two that I have used that are relatively quiet for a mud terrain. As mentioned earlier, it does depend on how you care for them. They need to be rotated and rebalanced at regular intervals.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiroua View Post
I love the look of mud tires but am nervous to pull the trigger due to sound level and ride comfort on the street.

So mud tire guys, is the sound level on mud tires REALLY bad inside with the windows up? I have never owned a set and the only experience that I have with them is when I drive next to someone on the road who has some. Are there certain brands out there that are truly quieter that the competition? If so, which brands are they?

It's like, my common sense is telling me just to get an all terrain tire and be done with it but I just don't want to have regrets every time I look at the truck after dropping $2400+ into suspension, rims and tires.

Thanks for the input.

:banghead::banghead:
If you aren't mudding on a regular basis, listen to your "common sense"
Mud tires are louder than ATs
I used to run Yokohama Geolandar MTs and they worked great in mud, but were loud. How loud? IDK, but they were louder than ATs
Old 07-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
Geaux Tigers
pgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of lightpgiroua is a glorious beacon of light

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input everyone, it is definitely being all considered.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
taco king
snoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoozeworm is one of the sharper tools in the shed
snoozeworm's Tacoma Gallery
I had a set of 33 x 12.5 BFG km tires on my old s10. I bought them with about 30% tread left and they were the loudest tire i had ever heard! I couldn't stand to drive it on the highway
Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
Some tires are definitely louder than others. Firestone Destination M/T and Hercules Trail Digger M/T are two that I have used that are relatively quiet for a mud terrain. As mentioned earlier, it does depend on how you care for them. They need to be rotated and rebalanced at regular intervals.
The Hercules tire is actually one of my finalists...
Old 07-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook dynapro ATm are great in mud too, they're all terrains, but do good in the mud. Cheaper than bfg and better for mud/sand/rock
Old 07-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and not loud at all on the hwy, I hear exhaust more than my tires
Old 07-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #14
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 sets, a set of maxis bighorns.. Which aren't quiet but they are still there... And a set of,super swamped tsl radials.. They are loudddd as fack don't get those
Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #15
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
TennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Phill Goodfactor
TennesseeFan76's Tacoma Gallery
Not to but is anyone familiar with these tires https://www.treadwright.com/p-52-285...dog-m-t-d.aspx

Price is right but I've never run retreads
Old 07-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Geaux Tigers

pgiroua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan76 View Post
Not to but is anyone familiar with these tires https://www.treadwright.com/p-52-285...dog-m-t-d.aspx

No problem! The more information, the better!

The price on those are crazy!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeFan76 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiroua View Post
No problem! The more information, the better!

The price on those are crazy!

I love these tires on mine!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #18
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ght-tires.html

Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
after 35000 miles on a set of firestone destination mts i would say do not buy a set. I have had trouble with uneven wear and vibrations problems with them. They are really loud and ride ok but not great. Putting on a set of michelins soon.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
if you don't need a MT don't get them...

My new km2's are quieter then my old used Duratracs...