Newbie Wheel and tire size question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
dlock is on a distinguished road

dlock's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie Wheel and tire size question

Hello all,
I'm a relatively new Taco owner (2008 Reg Cab 4X4) and I need to replace
the stock tires. Current tire is 245/75/R16 on stock rims. I'm planning to upgrade to a more AT tire, perhaps Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10's. I was wondering if there is any advantage to going to a wider tire? If so, how wide can I go on the stock rims without running into rubbing issues, etc. I'm not planning to replace the factory rims right now...maybe never. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Wider tires help street handling and heat dissipation, the later being a non issue on our trucks. Other than that its all negatives and just looks.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
You can go up to 265/75/16 on a stock height tacoma. If gas mileage is a big concern, I recommend you stick with the stock size.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #4

dlock's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks to both! How much do you think the mpg will fall with the larger tire size? FYI, I'm just have the 4 banger.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW
With my 4Banger I run two sets of tires. The stock 245/75/16 Dungflops for commuting & 255/85/16 BFG KM2s for off road. I only lose 1 to 1.5 MPGs when I run the KM2s.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
TennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really niceTennesseeFan76 is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Phill Goodfactor
TennesseeFan76's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW where your bank account gets smaller and your truck gets sexier! Some good info here tire size calculator
Old 07-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #7

dlock's Tacoma Gallery
I know what you mean about the bank account thing! Laid the credit card down today on a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10's. Decided on
the 265/70/R16 size. Same height as my stock tires but slightly
wider and much sexier to be sure. Got a good deal from Discounttires.com. Ordered them this morning and they have already shipped! Still thinking about wheels too...then
on to fog lights...and then...audio...and then..who knows!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
That should look great at stock height. Just don't lift it b/c then you'll shoot yourself in the foot for not going taller. I went through a similar deal, lol.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #10

dlock's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks TF76! I'll just start working my way down the list...Im sure
the wife won't mind at all.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
MANDREWS is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AWACS! ...I can see you...
Name: Matt
MANDREWS's Tacoma Gallery
Another newb question. If I'm doing a 3'' suspension lift. With 18/9 rims, 285/65/18 wheels 0'' offset and 5'' BS, will I need spacers?