Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Painting Wheels: a few personalized questions in one thread

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
Painting Wheels: a few personalized questions in one thread

I apologize for another "painting wheels" thread but I looked through quite a few and didn't get all I wanted, for my situation.

I want to paint my wheels black:

A: What would you recommend: Flat, Satin, or Gloss? Anyone have pics of theirs with these types of finishes? My truck is a Lunar Mist.

B: The center of my wheels are rusted. Do I need to clean them heavily - steel wool, or some other method?

C: I've read some people saying they DID prime, others saying they DIDN'T - your thoughts? Give the rust, at least in the center, seems primer for that is at least necessary.

D: Is removing the weights from the wheels easy?

E: Is everyone using clear coats to seal the wheels following the initial painting?

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
beedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeedoola is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bump.

Also, how many cans do I need of primer, paint and clear coat?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
plastidip them first, if you wanna paint them then scuff them up with some fine grit sand paper, then primer, then paint. gloss, satin, or flat are all personal preference. and clear would help. the weights are easy to take off, pry them off with a screwdriver or something, just be sure to mark where they go on the tire so you can put them back on afterwards.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
A. personal preference. with a clear coat they will shine any how.

B. Get rid of most of the rust, I hardly sanded mine because they were texturized already. not saying this is recommended, but it saved me a lot of time.

C. I didn't prime, but I would over rust.

D. I painted over the weights, when they are moved, just paint the area under them.

E. Paint drys. Cures. Clear coat. cure. install. was my method.

I used 3 cans of paint and 2 cans of clear coat. would have only needed 2 paint if i didnt mess up my caps, also barely used the 2nd can of clear coat.

all from my personal experience. ^_^
Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
'Murrica!
AK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
AK Taco's Tacoma Gallery
A: I did semi-gloss black and I think it looks great. Not too shiny but not as dull as flat black.

B: yes you will want to eliminate the rust before priming and painting. Use some steel wool to get the rust off and then go over the whole wheel with sandpaper to rough the surface up.

C: I primed using rust oleum self etching primer and it turned out beautifully. I would recommend priming for sure.

D: why remove the wheel weights? I left them on and painted right over them.

E: I used the duplicator wheel clear coat after painting to seal things up.

And I used three cans of primer two large cans of paint and three cans of clear. Hope that helps!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
trussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nice

Name: Tyler
trussell456's Tacoma Gallery
A. I just painted mine this past weekend. I used rustoleum flat black and i think it looks awesome.

B. For the rust maybe try a flap wheel? Not sure of the best method.

C. When i did mine i cleaned them really well, sanded them lightly with 250 grit sandpaper, then cleaned them again. Then i used one coat of rustoleum primer.

D. Not exactly sure, i left my weights on

E. If i used gloss black i would probably clear coat, but since i used flat i didn't use it. I guess somebody makes a hardener type overcoat for flat paint but not 100% sure.

I used one can of primer and two cans of paint. If you're going to clear coat you're probably going to want 2 cans of that as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #7

the rust isn't on the rim but on the center of the...axel... Fail at not knowing the terminology...

I wanna roll without the caps..

I'm thinking of using Dupli-Color - 16oz cans, think 2 will do it? I have to order it from my local O'Reillyauto so I may get an extra just in case - I can always return it. So I may omit the clear coat and just do Prime/Paint. I'm not an off-road type anyways so the wheels won't see anything to crazy.