LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS Question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
chewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shedchewingonabone is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Josh
chewingonabone's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS Question

Im thinking about "upgrading" my stock 16 inch steel wheels to 2012 TRD 16 inch aluminum wheels. The wheels are a good price online, but doesnt come with tpms. Is the tpms on my steel wheels transferable to the aluminum wheels? Also, would they be the same tire size? I have plenty of tread in my tires left, so I dont want to buy new tires, just hate the steel wheels.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewingonabone View Post
Im thinking about "upgrading" my stock 16 inch steel wheels to 2012 TRD 16 inch aluminum wheels. The wheels are a good price online, but doesnt come with tpms. Is the tpms on my steel wheels transferable to the aluminum wheels? Also, would they be the same tire size? I have plenty of tread in my tires left, so I dont want to buy new tires, just hate the steel wheels.
The tpms sensors have 2 different angles. One steel one aluminum. So from a correct angle you can't. However if you do a search there have been a few inventive people that have flipped them and added straps as well as disabling them and using a small tire or canister to fake the sensors.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Fish
ABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ABregenzer's Tacoma Gallery
There are a couple options you can look at.

1. You could go ahead and buy some new sensors that would work the aluminum wheels. It'll cost some money though. Not sure on the exact price though.

2. Some members have had luck rotating the sensors 180 degrees around on the wheel. The problem with this is it makes the sensor more exposed and likely to break. And it's also not a 100% sure thing that it'll work for you.

3. Tire shops/online stores sell metal bands for tpms. They go around under the drop center of the wheel and you put the sensor in a bracket. But again, this could put the sensor in harms way when a tire shop works on your stuff. Just remember to let them know.

4. You could just run without sensors

Those are pretty much your only options if I remember correctly.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Fish
ABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ABregenzer's Tacoma Gallery
Like Mike said, there are some innovative ways, like using a small tire to fake the sensors. But then you'd have to make sure you check your air pressure every fill up or every week or so and check your tires often.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
gt4som is on a distinguished road
Name: Nelson
gt4som's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question for those that have turned the Steelie TPMS 180*, will the sensor break if you get a flat tire?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Probably... though it's cheaper to pay for a replacement sensor if and when you get a flat tire, than to pay ahead of time.

Keep in mind the sensors have a fixed lifespan of ~ 5 years before the non-replaceable battery dies.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
MRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMRJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bucky
MRJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABregenzer View Post
1. You could go ahead and buy some new sensors that would work the aluminum wheels. It'll cost some money though. Not sure on the exact price though.
quoted $108/sensor by my dealership last week. alloys or steelies, same price for either p/n.

so $432 + tax + install/program = RIDICULOUS