Notices

How to fit a 33 with a 3 inch lift

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
drizl16 is on a distinguished road
Name: Derek
drizl16's Tacoma Gallery
How to fit a 33 with a 3 inch lift

I have installed my 3 inch suspension lift(billy 5100's all around, aal in rear, and eibach coils up front. I have purchased new tires that are 265/75/16 because I have a stock rim. I really badly want to fit 33x11.50 at least, but would really love to fit 33x12.50, with very minimal to no rubbing. I was wondering what it would take to do so, and if it takes a different rim, does anyone have any suggestions on what kind?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Plain and simple your not going to fit a 33x12.50 on the truck without a lot of cutting. if you want just a little trimming (for street driving only) 33x10.50 would be the widest on a 3" lift. I have 33x12.50's and I rub EVERYWHERE front,back,top and the frame and I've cut away at least 2 or 3lbs of sheet metal.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Blackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackened Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Blackened Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have 33-12.5 on my Tacoma mounted on FJ Cruiser TRD special edition wheels. Done with a standard 3" lift/leveling kit. The tires I am running are Super Swamper Trxs. I believe this is possible because I have not gone to a wider wheel. They recommend a wider wheel for these tires. I get a scrape once in awhile on my coil spring housing but not often enough to bother me.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened Taco View Post
I have 33-12.5 on my Tacoma mounted on FJ Cruiser TRD special edition wheels. Done with a standard 3" lift/leveling kit. The tires I am running are Super Swamper Trxs. I believe this is possible because I have not gone to a wider wheel. They recommend a wider wheel for these tires. I get a scrape once in awhile on my coil spring housing but not often enough to bother me.
The OP has a 1st Gen completely different truck.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
spacers do anything for this?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
spacers do anything for this?
No they just put you further out and you rub the fenders more. I had to cut 2" of metal of my front fenders just to drive on the street without rubbing. With a 8" wheel it would be less but you would still have to do a lot of cutting to fit 33x12,50's on a 1st Gen without rubbing. And that's street driving only there is no way to fit 33x12.50's on a 1st Gen that don't rub if you wheel your truck hard without major wheel well modification.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

so higher price tag, rubbing no doubt, trimming. sigh.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so higher price tag, rubbing no doubt, trimming. sigh.
More like cutting then trimming and cutting is free for the most part
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackened Taco View Post
Op has a first gen...they fit tires differently so your advice is useless.

Op, 33x10.5 doesent rub anywhere for me on stock rims, so if you want to avoit chopping that would be your best bet. Blackdawg has some stupid wide tires, go find his build and ask him how bad it rubs and how much he had to cut out. If I remember he just pounded the pinch weld, but it was still rubbing pretty good on the bumper. He does have a 97 though, and we are not sure why, but it just seems like the older 1st gen handle lifts and fit tires better than the newer ones.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
I doughnut belong here.

32's probably wouldnt rub to bad u think?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I guess because of my fenders, but I'm running 33 12.50's and I'm not rubbing at all in the front with my 5100's and Eibachs.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #12
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
32's probably wouldnt rub to bad u think?
Yeah it's a lot easier to fit 32's but if your a 4x4 and you stuff your tires anything larger then 265's and your going to rub somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
I guess because of my fenders, but I'm running 33 12.50's and I'm not rubbing at all in the front with my 5100's and Eibachs.
Having the glass and not front bumper helps
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
I doughnut belong here.

well then, I only have one thing left to ask..

is the rub worth it?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #14
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

is the rub worth it?
She said that.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #16
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
well played
Eh?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

is the rub worth it?
It's really up to you I've cut enough to just rub a little backing up at full lock on the street. Off road on the other hand i rub everywhere and there is really nothing i can do to stop it. I don't mind it but that's me
Old 07-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
drizl16's Tacoma Gallery
In case it matters I have an 04 and I do offroad around once a month. But what im getting from this, is that theres pretty much no way im fitting 33's without rubbing somewhere?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #19
Critta93 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Critta93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizl16 View Post
I have installed my 3 inch suspension lift(billy 5100's all around, aal in rear, and eibach coils up front. I have purchased new tires that are 265/75/16 because I have a stock rim. I really badly want to fit 33x11.50 at least, but would really love to fit 33x12.50, with very minimal to no rubbing. I was wondering what it would take to do so, and if it takes a different rim, does anyone have any suggestions on what kind?
If you put a 5100 and eibach/toytec coils on which you have, you can run 33 12.50. I'm doing it now
Old 07-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
drizl16's Tacoma Gallery
how much you rubbing on/offroad, did you trim at all, and what rims you running?