Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Clear coat wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Clear coat wheels

I have a set of Pro Comp 7069 that came from Pro Comp powdercoated flat black...was wondering if anyone has sprayed clear coat on their wheels before and if it is a good idea too? I know they make matte or flat clear coat not just gloss. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
My own experience with this topic:
I have a 2005 Corvette..it came from the factory with sealed polished aluminum wheels...it looked ok the first few years then they dulled and stained and you could never clean them. I tried steam cleaner, all sorts of waxes and polishes and it did nothing even with an electric buffer. And they got worse and worse.

But I was t-bone in a minor accident and one wheel got scratched, insurance refused to buy me a new wheel, but they polished that one at the body shop. They must have used compound..because it came back all new and shiney..and now this one I can clean and polish and it looks great. The other 3 sealed one look like crap with a dull yellow haze. I have been thinking about trying the clay bar treatment on them.

I wouldnt try it on your wheels unless someone has a time proven method.

Good Luck
Old 07-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo 95 View Post
My own experience with this topic:
I have a 2005 Corvette..it came from the factory with sealed polished aluminum wheels...it looked ok the first few years then they dulled and stained and you could never clean them. I tried steam cleaner, all sorts of waxes and polishes and it did nothing even with an electric buffer. And they got worse and worse.

But I was t-bone in a minor accident and one wheel got scratched, insurance refused to buy me a new wheel, but they polished that one at the body shop. They must have used compound..because it came back all new and shiney..and now this one I can clean and polish and it looks great. The other 3 sealed one look like crap with a dull yellow haze. I have been thinking about trying the clay bar treatment on them.

I wouldnt try it on your wheels unless someone has a time proven method.

Good Luck
Kool...I keep tellin myself to just mount them and be happy