Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

What are my tire size options?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
05MaroonTacoma is on a distinguished road
05MaroonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
What are my tire size options?

I know this information is around here somewhere. 2005 Tacoma PreRunner, 17 inch stock aluminum alloy wheel. What is the max tire size I can get away with without rubbing? I drive this truck on the interstate 52 miles a day for work, anything i should be aware of before purchasing tires?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
265/70/17
Old 07-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
05MaroonTacoma is on a distinguished road
05MaroonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
what is i installed a 3 inch leveling kit?
Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
lionhunter93 is on a distinguished road
Name: Vinnie
lionhunter93's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MaroonTacoma View Post
You could go with 255/80's. I used to have 285's and they would rub alot when doing a hard turn
Old 07-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MaroonTacoma View Post

A lift has nothing to do with what size tire you can clear unless you modify the bump stops and trim the shit out of the fenders.

If you simply lift the truck it still maintains the same tire travel.

Bigger isn't always better
Old 07-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
A lift has nothing to do with what size tire you can clear unless you modify the bump stops and trim the shit out of the fenders.

Um, I dont think you know what lifts are really for? Lifts are made to fit bigger tires so you have more ground clearance, depending on what size of tires you run there is no need for trimming
Old 07-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionhunter93 View Post
Um, I dont think you know what lifts are really for? Lifts are made to fit bigger tires so you have more ground clearance, depending on what size of tires you run there is no need for trimming

Yea your right. I'm clueless.

Please show me how strapping on a shock that has stiffer coil springs for a 3" lift will stop the tire from hitting the cab mount or fenders.

Ill be waiting for your reply

simple geometry is simple
Old 07-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Old 07-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Quote:

Please show me how strapping on a shock that has stiffer coil springs for a 3" lift will stop the tire from hitting the cab mount or fenders.

I know it wont hit from experience on my own truck and I have never hit my cab mount or fenders and I have flexed my suspension a lot
Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know it wont hit from experience on my own truck and I have never hit my cab mount or fenders and I have flexed my suspension a lot

Your running a 3" spacer lift with 255/85/16's
I'm running that size tire with 1" of lift.

You have backed up your theory with nothing.

Please don't mislead our members with BS. People actually read this stuff and spend their hard earned money on parts. Nothing is worse then saving up, doing research, getting the parts, then finding out someone gave you an incorrect answer and your screwed.

If you would like to continue the discussion please PM me and I may be able to explain it better for you. No need to muck up OP's thread.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
265/70/17
^^^This

Quote:

^^^Truth!

Quote:

Quote:

Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMonkey View Post
265/70/17

This is the correct answer op. There is a .00001% chance you might rub slightly depending on your caster, but nothing major at all. I had 35k on this same sized tire on my 08' 4x4.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
Quote:
Your running a 3" spacer lift with 255/85/16's
I'm running that size tire with 1" of lift.

You have backed up your theory with nothing.

Please don't mislead our members with BS. People actually read this stuff and spend their hard earned money on parts. Nothing is worse then saving up, doing research, getting the parts, then finding out someone gave you an incorrect answer and your screwed.

If you would like to continue the discussion please PM me and I may be able to explain it better for you. No need to muck up OP's thread.
Ya and he asked about a 3 inch lift not a 1 inch lift. no wonder why you had to do a lot of trimming
Old 07-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ya and he asked about a 3 inch lift not a 1 inch lift. no wonder why you had to do a lot of trimming

It doesn't matter what size lift unless it's DB or LT. By adding compression via a lift you lose down travel thus lifting the truck. Your wheels still maintain the same movements.

I did NO trimming and never said I did any.

Please stop while ahead or move to PM. You are 100% wrong.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
ok whatever man, I dont see how there is anyway you can be clearing a 255 with a 1 inch lift
Old 07-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
lefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mal
lefthand6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok whatever man, I dont see how there is anyway you can be clearing a 255 with a 1 inch lift
Lifting you truck allows you to fit a larger tire under your truck, but it doesn't change the distance between the wheel wells when you turn your tires. So the larger the tire, regardless of the amount of lift, will still have the same (or at least nearly the same) risk or rubbing. That's why issues with tire sizing is so confusing. Most folk don't seem to realize that you're not only increasing the height of your tire (y-axis, eg. 33", 31", etc...), and possibly the depth of your tire (z-axis, "width of tire", eg. 285, 265, etc...) but also the overall width of your tire (x-axis, again 33" across, 31" across) in how it relates to turning into your wheel wells.

Does this make things a bit more clear?
Old 07-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
lefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlefthand6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Also, 255 only relates to to the width of the tire, not the overall height. Theoretically, you could have a 255/40/R13, which would give you an overall wheel/tire diameter of 18".
Old 07-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
I've been really curious about this issue as well, which is why I feel confident to chime in.

I understand the geometry of it all, but I guess all of us new jacks would basically like to know, how to compute/figure out what width and overall diameter we can get away with, with all of our different vehicles? A big lift may let a bigger diameter tire fit under the truck, but is still going rub the shit outta the wheel wells when you make a hard a turn.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthand6 View Post
I've been really curious about this issue as well, which is why I feel confident to chime in.

I understand the geometry of it all, but I guess all of us new jacks would basically like to know, how to compute/figure out what width and overall diameter we can get away with, with all of our different vehicles? A big lift may let a bigger diameter tire fit under the truck, but is still going rub the shit outta the wheel wells when you make a hard a turn.
You could go with a 255/80 for a 17 rim and for a 16 inch rim you can go with a 255/85
Old 07-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #20
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
check my build out and you will see http://toyotaoff-road.com/threads/64...ll=1#post39016

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthand6 View Post

The best way is to ask someone who has tried before. Even a wheel tire expert can't give you the best answer unless he has tried to fit the tire/wheel combo before. With over 80,000 members I'm sure someone has tried the set up.