1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

All terrains for snow use?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by drifter, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Jul 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    drifter

drifter [OP] moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    Hello,
    I am looking for a set of all terrains that do fairly well on the snow and ice. I am going to go to school in a place that has quite a bit of snow. I am planning on buying a couple snow tires for the rear if necessary. However, since it is about time for me to buy new tires anyways, I would like to get something that can hold its own on the slippery stuff.

Thanks for any help.

2. Jul 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Yes, all terrains are snow rated. Any tire that has the snowflake on the sidewall is for snow. Aint shit gonna help you on ice tho. I had all terrains for a bad winter and they did great

3. Jul 16, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    My dad has the BFG all terrains. they do great in the snow/ice

4. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    Right, I'll check out the tirerack stuff.

BFG all terrains? nice. Personal recommendations are what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys.

5. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    SoCo

SoCo Hateful Respect

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen T4R 5spd.
    There's not enough bandwidth for what's happening.
    I've had BFGs, Hankooks, Geolanders, and Duratracs.

Duratracs win hands down in my opinion.

6. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
  7. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    yup duratracs will be your best choice.

I've had bad luck with BFG A/Ts in snow multiple times.

I prefer MTs from my experience - I will always have MTs on my 4x4

8. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have been happy with the winter performance of my Hankook ATm's

I used to run Hankook MT's but these are better in the snow

9. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:49 PM
    Amfivena

Amfivena Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Martin
    Maine and Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 4 door, auto
    In my personal experience I have found BFG A/Ts do pretty well in New England and Canadian Maritime winters (Jeep Wrangler and Land Rover Discovery). I would use common sense and avoid going down steep hills, drive slowly on ice, etc. I never had a problem in the Rover. The Jeep did fine in 4WD, though I did have a few close calls. Could be due to the shorter wheelbase, could also be because I was younger during my Jeep years. Generally speaking I never felt the need for better tires.

Until, that is, a couple years ago I flew into St. John's NL during an ice storm. I caught a Crown Vic cab from the airport. The roads were so slick I had trouble walking to the curb. Cabbie bolts off and barrels down a road ending in a T intersection with a red light and heavy cross traffic. My driving sense says no way we stop in time. At the last minute he stops normally without drama. Looks back at me literally freaking out in the back seat and says...'studded Nokians'. I was an instant convert.

I put studded Nokians on our KIA minivan family truckster - wow! Drove all-over in all conditions like nothing was wrong with the roads. Had a few close calls with getting rear-ended stopping on yellow lights. After adjusting my driving I thoroughly enjoy the confidence that comes from proper snow tires. When the budget allows, I'll get a set for the Tacoma.

Can you get by with BFG AT in snotty weather? Yes! But, there are far better options available. Per your request, that's my personal snow/ice testimony.

10. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    I've had snow to my bumper with bfgs and had no issue. Possibly comes down to driver and snow type?

11. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Snow type is a huge factor

12. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    PAlittlematty

PAlittlematty "the soulless ginger"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Beech Creek, PA
    Vehicle:
    I miss my taco
    OME Lift, 885 Coils, 13MM Top Spacer, Dakar Leafs, DSM UCAs, Homeroshi Flush Mount Grille, WeatherTech Digifit Mats, Bestop Super Top, Toyota Bed Extender, Clevice Receiver 1990 SR5 3.slow SAS 5” Leafs, high pinion diff, 37” PBRs, MC rear, AP front bumpers, 5.29s, locked
    I was puckerin because where I was it was a long walk to get help. Probably 15ish miles. Steady foot and momentum were my best friends that day. If they made the A/T in a 255/80 I'd own a set again

13. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I've heard nothing but good things about Duratracs in snow. I'm running BFG A/Ts right now but I don't have snow where I live so I can't give an opinion :eek:

14. Jul 16, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    Saskquatch11

Saskquatch11 TRUCK YEAH

Member:
    I've had BFG AT's for the last 3 years, they do quite well in snow. my next set will likely be michelin ltx at2's.

15. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    ataylor04

ataylor04 Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    04 DC TRD 4X4
    Sam,
    What part of the country are you headed to for school? Maybe someone from that area could help you choose what works well.
    I have run BFG MTR's on my Jeep for years and they work fine in Eastern Washington snow. I also recommend spending the extrs to have your tires siped for better traction.

16. Jul 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    Hey thanks guys! I'm making a list of these options.

Martin, thanks for the testimony! Those Nokians sound interesting.

ataylor04, I'm heading out to Klamath Falls, Oregon. You are right. I should check with the guys in the Oregon BS thread to see what they have to say.

17. Jul 16, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    I've run bfg's all terrains for 8 years now in heavy mammoth mtn winters with no problems...ever.

18. Jul 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM
    jscottl

jscottl Member

Member:
    I had the OE BFG A/T's(non KO) on a 98 S-10 ZR2 P/U.They handled all wintertime road conditions pretty well here in Ky.Including two ice storms.

But on the other hand the OE Long Trails my ZR2 Blazer came with,along with the Uniroyal AP's that are on it now also hold up well in snow and/or ice.

A person that can drive well in the snow without over driving the conditions can get where they want no matter the tire.

19. Jul 17, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    TODEOTA

TODEOTA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5 4x4 extra cab
    Horn upgrade, 2.5" Rough Country lift going in soon
    If you are looking for another option, Goodyear Wrangler with silent armor is the best tire I have ever owned for an all terrain. They are way quieter and smoother than BFG ATs and they out perform in every way. They are excellent in the snow.

20. Jul 17, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    03f5sp

03f5sp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road dcsb
    Front 5100s @ 2.5, 1.5 AAL, 265/75-16 all terrains
    Bingo. Case in point; my Corolla. 2wd, open diff, no traction control, abs only in front, with summer/all season tires. That setup did just fine in 6" of fresh snow, no problems with Wisconsin winters. The driver makes a bigger difference than any tire/vehicle combo.

Products Discussed in

To Top