Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

All terrains for snow use?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

Name: Sam
drifter's Tacoma Gallery
All terrains for snow use?

Hello,
I am looking for a set of all terrains that do fairly well on the snow and ice. I am going to go to school in a place that has quite a bit of snow. I am planning on buying a couple snow tires for the rear if necessary. However, since it is about time for me to buy new tires anyways, I would like to get something that can hold its own on the slippery stuff.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Yes, all terrains are snow rated. Any tire that has the snowflake on the sidewall is for snow. Aint shit gonna help you on ice tho. I had all terrains for a bad winter and they did great
Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
My dad has the BFG all terrains. they do great in the snow/ice
Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
moderately modded
drifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant futuredrifter has a brilliant future

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Right, I'll check out the tirerack stuff.

BFG all terrains? nice. Personal recommendations are what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Hateful Respect
SoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud ofSoCo has much to be proud of
SoCo's Tacoma Gallery
I've had BFGs, Hankooks, Geolanders, and Duratracs.

Duratracs win hands down in my opinion.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
duratracs
Old 07-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have been happy with the winter performance of my Hankook ATm's

I used to run Hankook MT's but these are better in the snow
Old 07-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Amfivena has a spectacular aura aboutAmfivena has a spectacular aura about
Name: Martin
Amfivena's Tacoma Gallery
In my personal experience I have found BFG A/Ts do pretty well in New England and Canadian Maritime winters (Jeep Wrangler and Land Rover Discovery). I would use common sense and avoid going down steep hills, drive slowly on ice, etc. I never had a problem in the Rover. The Jeep did fine in 4WD, though I did have a few close calls. Could be due to the shorter wheelbase, could also be because I was younger during my Jeep years. Generally speaking I never felt the need for better tires.

Until, that is, a couple years ago I flew into St. John's NL during an ice storm. I caught a Crown Vic cab from the airport. The roads were so slick I had trouble walking to the curb. Cabbie bolts off and barrels down a road ending in a T intersection with a red light and heavy cross traffic. My driving sense says no way we stop in time. At the last minute he stops normally without drama. Looks back at me literally freaking out in the back seat and says...'studded Nokians'. I was an instant convert.

I put studded Nokians on our KIA minivan family truckster - wow! Drove all-over in all conditions like nothing was wrong with the roads. Had a few close calls with getting rear-ended stopping on yellow lights. After adjusting my driving I thoroughly enjoy the confidence that comes from proper snow tires. When the budget allows, I'll get a set for the Tacoma.

Can you get by with BFG AT in snotty weather? Yes! But, there are far better options available. Per your request, that's my personal snow/ice testimony.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
I've had snow to my bumper with bfgs and had no issue. Possibly comes down to driver and snow type?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlittlematty View Post
I've had snow to my bumper with bfgs and had no issue. Possibly comes down to driver and snow type?
Snow type is a huge factor
Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
I was puckerin because where I was it was a long walk to get help. Probably 15ish miles. Steady foot and momentum were my best friends that day. If they made the A/T in a 255/80 I'd own a set again
Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard nothing but good things about Duratracs in snow. I'm running BFG A/Ts right now but I don't have snow where I live so I can't give an opinion
Old 07-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
TRUCK YEAH
Saskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaskquatch11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Saskquatch11's Tacoma Gallery
I've had BFG AT's for the last 3 years, they do quite well in snow. my next set will likely be michelin ltx at2's.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
ataylor04 is on a distinguished road

ataylor04's Tacoma Gallery
Sam,
What part of the country are you headed to for school? Maybe someone from that area could help you choose what works well.
I have run BFG MTR's on my Jeep for years and they work fine in Eastern Washington snow. I also recommend spending the extrs to have your tires siped for better traction.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
moderately modded

drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks guys! I'm making a list of these options.

Martin, thanks for the testimony! Those Nokians sound interesting.

ataylor04, I'm heading out to Klamath Falls, Oregon. You are right. I should check with the guys in the Oregon BS thread to see what they have to say.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
jscottl is on a distinguished road
jscottl's Tacoma Gallery
I had the OE BFG A/T's(non KO) on a 98 S-10 ZR2 P/U.They handled all wintertime road conditions pretty well here in Ky.Including two ice storms.

But on the other hand the OE Long Trails my ZR2 Blazer came with,along with the Uniroyal AP's that are on it now also hold up well in snow and/or ice.

A person that can drive well in the snow without over driving the conditions can get where they want no matter the tire.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
TODEOTA is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 819th REDHORSE Squadron
Name: Jake
TODEOTA's Tacoma Gallery
If you are looking for another option, Goodyear Wrangler with silent armor is the best tire I have ever owned for an all terrain. They are way quieter and smoother than BFG ATs and they out perform in every way. They are excellent in the snow.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #20
03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bill
03f5sp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottl View Post
A person that can drive well in the snow without over driving the conditions can get where they want no matter the tire.
Bingo. Case in point; my Corolla. 2wd, open diff, no traction control, abs only in front, with summer/all season tires. That setup did just fine in 6" of fresh snow, no problems with Wisconsin winters. The driver makes a bigger difference than any tire/vehicle combo.