Notices

285s with no rubbing?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
285s with no rubbing?

Is anybody running 285 All Terrains with stock UCAs and a 3in lift with no rubbing? A bit of plastic trimming is fine.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
bigswoleone is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
bigswoleone's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe with aftermarket wheels or stock wheels with wheel spacers. Even then there would be at least some trimming of the plastic inside the fender.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
KTM Rider
sdwiredog is on a distinguished road

Army: 4/29 Field Artillery-Commo
Name: Scott
sdwiredog's Tacoma Gallery
Try looking up the cab mount chop under the mods section. That's for '05 or newer.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwiredog View Post
Try looking up the cab mount chop under the mods section. That's for '05 or newer.
I was hoping that someone had a success story without the cab mount chop because its my dad's truck and he would notice if I did something that major.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 285's with 1.5" spacers. Nominal rub on the rear plastic of the fender well, and light rub at the steering stop, against the frame. I will be trimming the fender well plastic. I just put on LR UCA's but it was the same with the stock UCA's.
Attached Thumbnails
285s with no rubbing?-4a53314f-10b7-c585.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerTaco View Post
I was hoping that someone had a success story without the cab mount chop because its my dad's truck and he would notice if I did something that major.

Why are you looking for the ONE guy who doesn't rub when 99.999999% of people do and require major modifications?

If you want 285's just get them and do the mods. If your afraid of dad buy the right sized tires.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco47001 View Post
I'm running 285's with 1.5" spacers. Nominal rub on the rear plastic of the fender well, and light rub at the steering stop, against the frame. I will be trimming the fender well plastic. I just put on LR UCA's but it was the same with the stock UCA's.
1.5 inch wheel spacers?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
dpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to beholddpalmer619 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Derek
dpalmer619's Tacoma Gallery
cab chop isnt that noticeable if your not looking for it
Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
i don't rub with 1.25" spacers and the arb bumper
Old 07-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Why are you looking for the ONE guy who doesn't rub when 99.999999% of people do and require major modifications?

If you want 285's just get them and do the mods. If your afraid of dad buy the right sized tires.
Well the only success stories I've seen have been with BFG A/Ts just like taco47001. 99.999999% of people have big bulky mud tires and not all tire sizes are the exact same
Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
Twat did you say?
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Ive got 285 duratracs on stock sport 17's and spidertrax 1.25 inch spacers, i just had to trim some plastic and i dont rub even at full lock and flexing
Old 07-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
gainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgainman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Radio Man
gainman's Tacoma Gallery
285 duratracs on a 3" lift, had to trim the plastic right where it meets the bumper both sides. With that trim, no rubbing at full lock and flex.

Oh yeah, aftermarket rims so no spacer
Old 07-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
285 duratracs on a 3" lift, had to trim the plastic right where it meets the bumper both sides. With that trim, no rubbing at full lock and flex.

Oh yeah, aftermarket rims so no spacer
So what's the deal with aftermarket rims and backspacing and such? What backspace numbers should you aim for? This stuff is like hieroglyphics to me
Old 07-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerTaco View Post
So what's the deal with aftermarket rims and backspacing and such? What backspace numbers should you aim for? This stuff is like hieroglyphics to me
X2
Old 07-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcmdr View Post
Do you do any wheeling where your front tires get stuffed?

they can't be...

I'm rubbing inside the frame and ripping off mud flaps with 265/70/17's so thats the inside and outside.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
they can't be...

I'm rubbing inside the frame and ripping off mud flaps with 265/70/17's
Swaa ?

You change back ?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Swaa ?

You change back ?

nope... I should of said "I was" - they are in my basement waiting for snow.. still got plenty of tread left
Old 07-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
If you have the tools and time just do the cab mount chop with BAMF plates. I have had mechanics and bodymen look at my work... with zero experience I did the cab mount chop and made it look good with lots of grinding and sanding and filling in the swiss cheese of holes in the crappy welds with JB weld and fishied with Rustoleum flat black and they all say they would not have noticed it was not stock if I had not pointed it out.

The BAMF plates make the mod a breeze. Its the grinding and sanding and JB Welding in flaws that took time. Also I was a pussy and afraid to cut so made more cuts than needed. Any welder will work for this mod and any shitty welds will work as long as you have some penentration and dont blow it out. All in all it took 5 hours. And you have as much experience as me in body work which was none.

You also need to take a sledge hammer and knock over the pinch weld 9" high.