Notices

Plasti Dip your Rims.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
Zoom72 is on a distinguished road
Name: Grace
Zoom72's Tacoma Gallery
Wink Plasti Dip your Rims.

Hi all, I just bought an 09 Tacoma about a month ago and have put a lot into it already, I did some research on Plasti dip and did it to all my emblems and they turned out sick! It's been on for about a month now and nothing is peeling off. Looks perfect, I've taken a power washer and a rag to them.

So I took it a step further and Dipped my wheels, and I think it looks awesome.

Just wondering if anyone has done it to their tires how long it lasted?
Attached Thumbnails
Plasti Dip your Rims.-img_3230.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
I think it depends on how much you use, on my Mazda that I no longer have I used 2 cans to do four rims and it got nicked here and there. I would of used more but the price of plasti dip here in Canada is twice of that in the states.( from what I've seen)
Old 07-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it will stick to the tires bud.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
looks good!

here is my wrx when i had it with dipped wheels, lasted 9 months before it got totaled but i put 3 coats of clear to give it a semigloss look

and welcome to TW
Old 07-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man. One day I will have the guts to try on mine. Skidplate is first.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
oh and SWB FTW
Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Zoom72's Tacoma Gallery
It sticks really good, had a hard time pulling it off my old car's emblems before trading it in. I used one can per tire so it should hold pretty well. Ill let you guys know in a few months how its doing. Cheap way to get a sweet look.

Here's the old ride:
Attached Thumbnails
Plasti Dip your Rims.-3.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Zoom72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell View Post
Looks good man. One day I will have the guts to try on mine. Skidplate is first.
Nothing to be scared of, it pulls right off. I did my whole grill the day i got the truck and pulled it off a few weeks later, just to show someone i could. you wouldnt have known it was on there. Then i resprayed it.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Houston's Swamp Rat

wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Nice decal on the back window of the mazda3
Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Zoom72's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxRome View Post
Nice decal on the back window of the mazda3
Thanks I have another red one...but won't really go with the all black and blue trend of the truck. And I cant get ahold of the company who made me all my oher ones :/
Love the group "To write love on her arms" tho
I wanna get a big black one and put it crooked where the TRD off road stickers were.

Heres a pic of my first mazda with the same decal:
Attached Thumbnails
Plasti Dip your Rims.-img_0197.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Houston's Swamp Rat

wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
impreza in the background

my old decal on my wrx
Old 07-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #12
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
T The good thing abt plastidip is that you can use it as a primer then hit it with real paint + clear coat. whenever it's time for aa change,just peel it off.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Zoom72's Tacoma Gallery
Just got the decal for the Taco, i like how it came out!

The Plasti Dip is holding up perfect too, no issues yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Plasti Dip your Rims.-taco.jpg  
Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
Jlurv is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
Jlurv's Tacoma Gallery
yeah plasti dip is a good cheap upgrade…it makes a big difference… i'm trying to black mine out step by step...

Old 08-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Loving my derped rims
Old 08-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #16
Houston's Swamp Rat

wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Loving my derped rims
you ever clear over them?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #18
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
As much derp that Plasti-Dipped gets shown, it really is the best product for blacking things out. Nothing else compares to it.

Adhesion is so superior with PD its just not funny. Center caps would chip and chip and chip with regular spray paint. Even sanded them, still chipped. Used PD once and have never had another chip.

Couldn't keep paint on the emblems. PD'd those, still all black today.

PD'd my shift console, tray to the right of the steering wheel also. My grille too.

-PD does not chip
-while PD won't chip, it is completely removeable if you screw up.
-PD seems to stick anything with little to no prep work.

OP, the wheels look good. They should hold up for a long time without flaking/chipping/etc.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #19
Gamecock Tacos
jeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of lightjeremy1ns is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
jeremy1ns's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about PDing the rims as well
Old 08-13-2012, 06:12 AM   #20
Zoom72's Tacoma Gallery
Been dipped for a few weeks now. No complaints. Been through rain, power washer, light offroading in a field. This stuff rocks.