Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

A different kind of "Which Tire" question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Mac2118 will become famous soon enough
Mac2118's Tacoma Gallery
A different kind of "Which Tire" question

I'm looking for a set of 265/75/16 tires, at least I will be in the next month.

My dad came home with a 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi quad cab a week after I bought my truck and I realized that something had to be done about the stock wheels on my 2012 Taco AC.

I have 265/75/16 Firestone Destination M/T's on my '01 Taco.. sure they're great in the mud; but horrible everywhere else it seems. I despise the reinforced sidewalls for everyday driving. The truck is light weight, it wants to kick out over some bumps, I've never driven it on the interstate.

I drive on the highways 90% of the time it seems. I drive roughly 18k miles a year just for work, maybe another 4-5 for other stuff. Come hunting season, the truck will see alot of back roads. Needless to say, A/T's is what I'm looking for.

Sure the stock tires are pretty comfortable. Quite enjoyable actually. But they're no fun. I think they're ugly.

I know Destination A/T's are recommended alot on here, I've also heard nice things about Nitto and General Grabber, BFG T/A.

What type of A/T tire should I look at for ride quality, won't kill my mpg, yet still good off the paved roads? I've seen P and LT come up, what about load ratings? C, D, E?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What about getting a set of steelies with M/T's on them for hunting and running an H/T tire for the 95% of the driving that you do?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I have Nitto Terra Graplers and like them. On soem of our work trucks we run Firestone Destinations (which you don't like, but we do not have issues with them).
My next tires will be Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 AT - several friends have them and they are great on the highway, low noise, good grip etc., but also hold their own off road. Even though I have not had them , that's what I would recommend.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro ATm
Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
bfg rugged terrain! love mine great offroad
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
ae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kimo
ae111black's Tacoma Gallery
I brought a similar question up in my thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...5-16-6ply.html
Anyway sticking to a 6 ply or load range c tire should make you happy. I was wondering if maybe an expert on vehicle handling and dynamics could sum up what happens when we run a 8 or 10 ply rated tire on our light trucks.