Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Removing 2012 Chrome Wheel Skins??

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #22
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I'm missing something but why did you get the Sport Upgrade Package if you didn't want the chrome wheels? Not trying to be an ass, just curious.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
1st gens have clips on the spokes-look closely you can see them. damn plastic is going to crack anyway! they look real until you get close!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #24
vidaurriyota is on a distinguished road

Army: 95B
Name: Nick
vidaurriyota's Tacoma Gallery
I got the sport upgrade for the hood and didnt want to pay extra for crappy locker, ill put my own locker in later on. Didnt pay extra for the wheels. Was just at the dealership and they had no clue what a "chrome clad" wheel was. Tried to ask them if they know where the mount points where and if they knew how to remove them. They had no clue......
Old 08-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #25
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but why did you get the Sport Upgrade Package if you didn't want the chrome wheels? Not trying to be an ass, just curious.
I ended up with a Sport upgrade because its the only truck I could find with the options I wanted at the time (Entune etc.) Disliked the wheels from day one.

Only issue with removing the cladding is I don't think the center caps will fit your wheel anymore. They "lock into" the cover, not the wheel.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrSumR View Post
Powder coat them. They look badass once the chrome is gone.
You can't powder coat plastic chrome.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
Why the hell would they do this.. comon toyota, "Chrome Clad" on the limited?? like we can't afford real chrome rims? pffft

and in the limited.. added random chrome pieces.. lame
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #28
Pyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shedPyrite Mica is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pyrite Mica's Tacoma Gallery
Post Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
Why the hell would they do this.. comon toyota, "Chrome Clad" on the limited?? like we can't afford real chrome rims? pffft

and in the limited.. added random chrome pieces.. lame
The 'Chrome Clad' wheels are real wheels. Under the cladding is an aluminum wheel that actually looks quite nice and would cost just as much to make as other aluminum and painted wheels. In addition, the chrome cladding (Seems to be the future) is added at an additional expense. The chrome cladding is actual chrome on a plastic cap. Oddly enough, the result is a more durable chrome wheel that satisfies the masses (those that prefer their vehicles and wheels to withstand winter roads with salt, sand and ice melt). Most manufactures are using 'chrome clad wheels' on their upscale vehicle packages.
Until some new more durable chrome application comes along, we will see more and more OEM chrome wheels as 'clads'.

Having said that, anyone want a set of 2012 Chrome Clad 18 inch wheels and tires?

I am replacing mine with a set of 17" teflon Mojave

I too disliked the wheels from day one but the package I wanted and the color left me with some 18" bling. I don't like bling.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #29
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrite Mica View Post
The 'Chrome Clad' wheels are real wheels. Under the cladding is an aluminum wheel that actually looks quite nice and would cost just as much to make as other aluminum and painted wheels. In addition, the chrome cladding (Seems to be the future) is added at an additional expense. The chrome cladding is actual chrome on a plastic cap. Oddly enough, the result is a more durable chrome wheel that satisfies the masses (those that prefer their vehicles and wheels to withstand winter roads with salt, sand and ice melt). Most manufactures are using 'chrome clad wheels' on their upscale vehicle packages.
Until some new more durable chrome application comes along, we will see more and more OEM chrome wheels as 'clads'.

Having said that, anyone want a set of 2012 Chrome Clad 18 inch wheels and tires?

I am replacing mine with a set of 17" teflon Mojave

I too disliked the wheels from day one but the package I wanted and the color left me with some 18" bling. I don't like bling.

I just need one. Let me know.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #30
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
I guess you have a point there.. there is just something about having plastic covers on my wheels that I can't get over.. is this really the best alternative? You are getting teflon wheels, is that better or what?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #31
taco713 is on a distinguished road
taco713's Tacoma Gallery
did anyone ever get the cover off of the rim? do you have a picture? my father was wondering this...

I saw the photo of the spare tire without the chrome clad but has anyone tried to remove it from the other 4 rims?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #32
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco713 View Post
did anyone ever get the cover off of the rim? do you have a picture? my father was wondering this...

I saw the photo of the spare tire without the chrome clad but has anyone tried to remove it from the other 4 rims?

Where you at? I can trade you my spare, which has never touched the ground for one of yours with the chrome on it. It will be one less you have to take the skin off of. Any how, for the rest of them, they are just pressed on.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #33
NorCalTaco33 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ronnie
NorCalTaco33's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone get these off yet? or paint them? Any Pics?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #34
Coastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of light

Coast Guard: Machinery Technician USCG
Coastie80's Tacoma Gallery
Man....it's been since April since anyone posted on this....I need to get these ugly things off, but don't want to break them. Also wondering about the center cap.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #36
Coastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of light

Coast Guard: Machinery Technician USCG
Coastie80's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Trade me one of yours with the clad on for my spare with the clad off and it's one less to worry about. I'm for serious.
Did you notice where I live???? Not to mention the fact that I would be riding around with at best, two chrome and two non until I could find two other people to trade. Thanks for the offer, but I don't think it would work out.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #37
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvrSumR View Post
Powder coat them. They look badass once the chrome is gone.
This ^

I bet they will look sweet with that shit chrome gone