Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Removing 2012 Chrome Wheel Skins??

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
jerryg is on a distinguished road
jerryg's Tacoma Gallery
Removing 2012 Chrome Wheel Skins??

Hi Guys, Can someone please tell me how to remove the chrome wheel skins on my 2012 double cab? I would like to remove them without destroying them. I have been prying and pulling like you would on a hub cap but they are not budging. Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Pics?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
igon370 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
igon370's Tacoma Gallery
Just keep pulling like crazy. The first few times of removing is extremely tough. The first time I removed them Iwas sitting and pushing against the tires with my feet.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
jerryg's Tacoma Gallery
I have been trying to pry around the edges and I don't think they are going to come off that way. I also tried pulling from the middle with the cap removed but no luck. They seem to be glued or something. Any more suggestions? Thanks Again!
Attached Thumbnails
Removing 2012 Chrome Wheel Skins??-photo-67-.jpg   Removing 2012 Chrome Wheel Skins??-photo-72-.jpg  
Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Wtf is a wheel skin
Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Wtf is a wheel skin

Cheap stuff that cracks the first time you rub it on a tree or rock.... like the fake hub caps they sell at parts stores.

Toyota's going down hill....
Old 07-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
eww those definitely need to go! are these skins plastic or metal?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
jerryg's Tacoma Gallery
They are plastic coated with chrome. I am thinking about painting them black or getting rid of them completely. They really dont look bad for what they are but I hate chrome. I will post pics of the wheel and it's "skin" if I ever get one off.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
A-TRAC Equipped
speedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedydave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
speedydave's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't know the chrome was a snap on item!?! What do the wheels look like without it?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
They are plastic coated with chrome. I am thinking about painting them black or getting rid of them completely. They really dont look bad for what they are but I hate chrome. I will post pics of the wheel and it's "skin" if I ever get one off.
the plastic wont give you much of a good looking paint job IMO. i would just brake those POS's
Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
jerryg's Tacoma Gallery
I will take some pics of the spare tire soon.. same wheel without the skin.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
I had a car once that the fake lugnuts on the wheel cover held the darn thing on....
Old 08-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #17
jerryg's Tacoma Gallery
Nope I haven't had time to mess with them.

Any advice would be great Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #18
Blkvulcan is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
Blkvulcan's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried removing the wheel? My wife's old van had plastic covers over the steel wheels and were held on by the lug nuts.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkvulcan View Post
Have you tried removing the wheel? My wife's old van had plastic covers over the steel wheels and were held on by the lug nuts.
The cover is not in any way attached by or to the lugnuts. I looked at the spare for any clips or something that would hold the covers on, nothing.

Anyone actually take these covers off? How are thet attached? Are they just pressed on? Or do they attach with some sort of adhesive?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
NvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shedNvrSumR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Jeff
NvrSumR's Tacoma Gallery
Powder coat them. They look badass once the chrome is gone.