Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

best Carcass in the industry????

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
best Carcass in the industry????

What make/model of tire do you think makes the best tire carcass/sidewall as far as durability, corner handling, longevity and puncture resistance are concerned?

Also, Radial or Bias-ply?
Old 07-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
on road or off road?

Off road you'll have a tough time beating these:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...a/tire-details
Old 07-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Easy... Toyo MT or Nitto Trail Grappler.

Negatives? Heavy construction and stiff sidewall means poor milage and not good at airing down.

Bias-ply? Not unless you trailer your rig to the trailhead. Made that mistake before... won't make it again.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
on road or off road?

Off road you'll have a tough time beating these:
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...a/tire-details
Nitto and Toyo mud tires have much tougher carcass (same on both) and much tougher rubber on sidewalls. The fact he is considering a non steel belted radial pretty much rules out a street tire. Unless this dude just woke up from a 25 year coma.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Forget the Bias ply thing. I read that searching through google on some random forum. The guy was blaming blowouts on the highway on radial belts, and that he thought Bias was way better.

The reason I'm asking is because i'm looking at the Treadwright tires. I just talked to them, and they only do Radial anyway. Their carcass options for a 265/75 guard dog are:

Michelin Ltx m/s (the tire i have now) or the XPS
BFG A/T
Toyo MT
Bridgestone Dueller A/T
Goodyear MTR Kevlar (very rare, would be a long wait)

I was hoping cooper would be in the list, since i know they have a 3-ply sidewall on the STT. Probably the same situation as the Goodyear MTR kevlar.

The only negative review of treadwrights i've found so far on the internet, was one guy that had a blowout with guard dogs with a BFG A/T carcass. In the thread, were a few BFG bashers but.... who knows if they really knew what they were talking about. But if i were that cynical i wouldn't be asking you guys either LOL
Old 07-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I have found multiple reports of instances of Treadwrights failing due to using BFG carcasses. The Wrangler MT/R might be the best choice. After that, I'd say the Michelins.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #8

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
I did find one thread in a forum discussing a treadwright blowout that had a lot of complaints about BFG carcasses in general.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
When I contacted Treadwright about this they said it was limited to a certain run of BFG carcasses. They have since changed their inspection standards to look for these specific problems. They also recommended the Michelin casings.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #10

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be down with the Michelin, I actually have the LTX M/S now and their road manners leave little to be desired. No one else care to stand up and vouch for the Toyo M/T in the sidewall/carcass department?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
ryanr623 is on a distinguished road
ryanr623's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
Forget the Bias ply thing. I read that searching through google on some random forum. The guy was blaming blowouts on the highway on radial belts, and that he thought Bias was way better.

The reason I'm asking is because i'm looking at the Treadwright tires. I just talked to them, and they only do Radial anyway. Their carcass options for a 265/75 guard dog are:

Michelin Ltx m/s (the tire i have now) or the XPS
BFG A/T
Toyo MT
Bridgestone Dueller A/T
Goodyear MTR Kevlar (very rare, would be a long wait)
Just an FYI, a week ago I ordered guard dogs with MTR kevlar sidewalls and got them in five days. Called back to see availability of a spare, and they said 5-7 days. They have MTR Kevlars in stock......