Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

The defenition of "I had to trim"

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
The definition of "I had to trim"

When you guys say you have to trim when you put 285's on your trucks, what exactly do you mean? Did you have to trim just to be able to drive the truck? Did you trim for when your wheeling? Did you trim because the wheel couldn't be cut/turned all the way without touching? Or did you trim because it hits over small bumps?
I'm just trying to gauge what I'm fully getting myself into with the new tires and there doesn't seem to be an exact reference
Old 07-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
I used a saw-zall with a metal bit/blade and cut a bit off the front plastic drain fender sleeve....I cut maybe 2" off & I cut at an angle a bit of the fender flare off too. I don't think anyone will notice by looking at it. I still rub a little in reverse sometimes...
Old 07-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
When I put my spacers on the front for the stock wheels it's going to rub on the cab mount so, that will have to be cut and a new plate welded in it's place. I've also been told that I will most likely hit on a piece of the front side of the fender flare. Either way though with spacers of new wheels it will be the same because of the back spacing of the wheels. I'm needing to put the spacers on because I rub on the front of my UCA when turning at full lock. (only on the passenger side though).
Old 07-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
TheHansen is on a distinguished road

TheHansen's Tacoma Gallery
Trimmed plastic on the front and rear of the fender well. And a small bit of the fender flare on the front and rear ( the very end of the flare. only noticable if you know how the flare is supposed to look exactly and you are looking for it)

I rubbed when turning if i was getting onto/ off of a hill. flat road driving, i only rubbed in reverse while turning (hit the front inner fender plastic that sticks down)
Old 07-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
usually, for 285's, the trimming is so you dont rub while wheeling. other times, depending on wheel offset/backspacing/width, the trimming is to prevent rubbing while turning in forward or reverse.

if you are going to put on 285's, you will at least need to remove your front mudflaps and you may find that a small amount of plastic from the inner fender well needs to be trimmed.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what I had to trim for 275s on 1.75" of lift. Not an exact comparison but at least you can see the pics. I was rubbing at full lock.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post5248811
Old 07-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery

Old 07-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thanks guys, I really want to get the 285s but I want to make sure I get the right rims spec too. The 17x8 pro comp 7089's with 4.75 backspace should be fine right?
Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
How much more would that stick out though?
1.75" more than stock
Old 07-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
1.75" more than stock
sweet man, I think I might even go with the 4.5 then for 1.5 over stock because I dont want to be TOO far out. Seems like you know your stuff about these things too, TW is lucky to have such knowledgeable people IMO
Old 07-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
sweet man, I think I might even go with the 4.5 then for 1.5 over stock because I dont want to be TOO far out. Seems like you know your stuff about these things too, TW is lucky to have such knowledgeable people IMO
4.5 bs would stick out more than 4.75
Old 07-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whats the actually specs of the TRD wheels then?
7" wide, 5.25" bs. Thought you had base wheels, so subtract 0.25 from the how much they will stick out I previously said
Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
7" wide, 5.25" bs. Thought you had base wheels, so subtract 0.25 from the how much they will stick out I previously said
ok cool so the 4.5 backspace ones would be 1.75 more then the TRD sports right?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I though Sport alloys were 5.5 BS
Sports= 5.5" bs, 7.5" wide
Offroads= 5.25 bs, 7" wide

Sorry for the confusion I'm on my phone