Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

TPMS question

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Silver Streak is on a distinguished road
Silver Streak's Tacoma Gallery
TPMS question

So i currently have the stock steelies 16" on a 2011 tacoma. I want to swap to the 16" trd off road wheels. Can i take the TPMS sensors out of the steelies and make them work with the new trd off road wheels?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Great, because iv read some posts that say they will not sit the same way inside the aluminum wheels as the steel wheels.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
There are different TPMS sensors for the Aluminum and steel wheels. Not sure how easilly swappable they are.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
hpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manie
hpvds's Tacoma Gallery
Yes and no.

Yes the Aluminum rims do require a different sensor, in the normal orientation the 40˚, Steel rim sensors, will not fit

I bought the correct 20˚ sensors for the aluminum wheel but ended up not needing them and selling them on here a few months later.

The tech that installed my rims said he instead of installing the new sensors, he just flipped the old ones upside down and they worked fine. However if you do this, the tire has to be taken off in the opposite direction to avoid damaging the sensor, you will have to make the tech that works on the wheels aware of this fact.

When I changed my tires though, I forgot to do this but the tech seemed to figure it out or Toyota replaced them if they did break it in the process.

Edit: I went from 16" steel wheels to 16" FJ TRD wheels
Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
so say i go into discount tire and tell them i want them to take out my old tpms, and put them in my new aluminum wheels with new tires, will they do this ya think?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
so say i go into discount tire and tell them i want them to take out my old tpms, and put them in my new aluminum wheels with new tires, will they do this ya think?
Yes, they should. I had that very thing done at a different tire shop. If they don't then give them one of these-
Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbb View Post
Yes, they should. I had that very thing done at a different tire shop. If they don't then give them one of these-
Bobb what wheels did u have? Did u switch from stock steelies to alloys?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
I have AWC Rock Crushers and I'm still using the stock TPMS sensors that came with the steelies. Initially the TPMS computer wasn't showing any problems, but I realized that it also wasn't recognizing when the tires were deflated. I went back to the tire shop and they plugged into the OBD-II port and told it to recognize the sensors. No problems since. I just aired-down off-road yesterday and the system worked as it's supposed to.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Great! I wonder how much extra they would charge to swap sensors