Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How many wheel spacers?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
How many wheel spacers?

Crazy question I guess, I think I may have to run wheel spacers if I buy Mickey Thompson Classic II for my '12 Tacoma. Do I run the spacers only on the front? And how thick should they be, would 3/4" work? I have 16 inch wheels (factory) and am wanting to get a set of aftermarket black wheels. I like the Pacer 164B and the Mickey Thompson Classic II.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
The issues are with the calipers, so you would only need fronts. However, the fitment of mickeys is really hit or miss. Some folks on here don't need spacers, some do, and some don't even fit with spacers.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I have already test fit one and it would need at least a 3/4" spacer. I am worrying about rubbing though. Don't really want to do a lot of cutting.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwilson74 View Post
I have already test fit one and it would need at least a 3/4" spacer. I am worrying about rubbing though. Don't really want to do a lot of cutting.
What's the width and backspacing of the wheels? Pushing them out another 3/4" will probably make rubbing worse.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
16 x 8 with 3 5/8 backspacing.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
I am getting an OME 3" lift kit installed on Friday, don't know if that changes the rubbing issue or not.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #7
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
16 x 8 with 3 5/8 backspacing.
3 5/8" backspacing is far too little for a 2nd gen. Those wheels are designed for 1st gens.

You should be in the range of 4.75"-4.25" backspacing range. You are going to have some serious rubbing with those even before the spacers. Adding spacers will push them out to 2 7/8" backspacing. You won't even be able to turn without getting fiberglass fenders, unless you are running really tiny tires.

Do not buy those wheels!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
I have saw the MT Classic II on several trucks on this forum, what are they doing to make them fit? What are my options in a black wheel similar to the MT Classic II without trimming then?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have saw the MT Classic II on several trucks on this forum, what are they doing to make them fit? What are my options in a black wheel similar to the MT Classic II without trimming then?
Like I said earlier they are hit and miss on the fitting. But you at least need to get wheels with the right specs (~4.5") to even have a chance of them fitting. No brand of wheel with work on a 2nd gen with the specs you posted above.

My suggestion would be to find folks who are running them and PM them to ask them how they got them to fit.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
I was about to say I am running them but just realized your weren't talking about Mickey Thompson Classic Lock II....

The ones I have are pretty close to what you are looking for and I had no issues with them before or after my spindle install.....
Old 08-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post
I have them and had no issues before my lift spindles and have no issues now with them either....
And what were the specs on them? Offset, width, backspacing, tire size.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT,

I thought he was talking about the wheels I have. I edited my post above...
Old 08-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
KPT,

No problem, I just wanted him to see that you can't run 3 5/8 backspaced wheels on a 2nd gen with stock fenders.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Quote:
KPT,

I had looked at the MT Classic Lock also, they were a bit more expensive. If they work, then I would probably get them. What are the offset and backspacing on them?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had looked at the MT Classic Lock also, they were a bit more expensive. If they work, then I would probably get them. What are the offset and backspacing on them?
They come in multiple different sets of specs, as do the classic IIs.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
Retired Senior NCO

Mine are 4" backspace with a -12mm offset (16x8)
Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
Quote:
Mine are 4" backspace with a -12mm offset (16x8)
What size tires are you running? Did you have to trim anything? And, are you running spacers? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #18
Retired Senior NCO

I am running 285/75/16s. I originally had 5100s with Eibachs and a top plate spacer for a true 3" of lift. No trimming. Never had to run a spacer. I am now running Maxtrac spindles and my stock shocks/coils, with no spacer. The lift spindles inherently push the front wheels out a little so I did VERY LITTLE trimming insides the wheel well and you would never know if I didn't point it out to you. My best recommendation to you as far as lifts go is the Maxtrac spindles if you have a prerunner....