Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How many tires are you buying ?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
darktaco is on a distinguished road

darktaco's Tacoma Gallery
How many tires are you buying ?

Ready to buy new tires,going up to 265-70-17 .
Already reasearched the brands ,narrowed it down to two .
Are you buying 5 ? One of course for the spare .
I thought you were not to run two different sizes , especially on a limited slip rear .OEM size is 265-65-17 , new size is 265-70-17 . a difference of about 1 inch in diameter.I still have my original Dunlop (hate em )as spare .
I also have 4 Toy A/T's 265-65-17 mounted for winter/off road use.

So how many did you buy when you went up a size ?
Do you care about a spare ?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
When I buy tires, I only buy 4. If you off road and have aggressive tires, it might be worth having a full size spare with the same tread to get you home, otherwise, 4 will do. I carry a tire plug kit as I'm more apt to plug the tire than I am to put the spare on.

With a limited slip rear, if you get a flat in the rear, you'd need to put the spare on the front, and rotate the front tire to the rear. You can't run different sizes across the rear with a mechanical limited slip.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
2011 TRD Sport 4x4
Junebug55210 will become famous soon enoughJunebug55210 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
Junebug55210's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
When I buy tires, I only buy 4. If you off road and have aggressive tires, it might be worth having a full size spare with the same tread to get you home, otherwise, 4 will do. I carry a tire plug kit as I'm more apt to plug the tire than I am to put the spare on.

With a limited slip rear, if you get a flat in the rear, you'd need to put the spare on the front, and rotate the front tire to the rear. You can't run different sizes across the rear with a mechanical limited slip.
x2
Old 08-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktaco View Post
Ready to buy new tires,going up to 265-70-17 .
Already reasearched the brands ,narrowed it down to two .
Are you buying 5 ? One of course for the spare .
I thought you were not to run two different sizes , especially on a limited slip rear .OEM size is 265-65-17 , new size is 265-70-17 . a difference of about 1 inch in diameter.I still have my original Dunlop (hate em )as spare .
I also have 4 Toy A/T's 265-65-17 mounted for winter/off road use.

So how many did you buy when you went up a size ?
Do you care about a spare ?
If you get a rear flat, put your spare on the front and move the front tire to the rear..."problem solved, problem staying solved.....rangers lead the way!"
Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
If you get a rear flat, put your spare on the front and move the front tire to the rear..."problem solved, problem staying solved.....rangers lead the way!"
And get a lot of funny looks on the side of the road when people see you changing the front tire with the flat one in the rear
Old 08-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #6

Thx

Thanks all ,especially for the quick replies !!!!!!
Looks like it 4 for sure . And some money in my pocket .!
Old 08-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darktaco View Post
Thanks all ,especially for the quick replies !!!!!!
Looks like it 4 for sure . And some money in my pocket .!
I also would troll for when people buy new tires....see if they will give you one of their close to bald ones for a hand shake or nominal fee...
Old 08-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
I also would troll for when people buy new tires....see if they will give you one of their close to bald ones for a hand shake or nominal fee...
+1

It's always nice to have a similar sized spare.

Even if it's a different width and profile.... Maybe you can get an 85 series tire with a less aggressive tread that's a lot cheaper but will do the job. That will be my plan when I upgrade my wheels to a lower profile 17"... I still want to go a bit larger on the diameter, so I'll likely move the spare up to a 225/70 or 75 from the stock 215/70-15.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I still have the stock spare that came on my Sport. Running 265/75/16 now. When these need replacing I think I'm going to keep one of them for a spare to at least have one the same size, albeit with less tread.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
I always buy 5 and rotate the spare in when doing tire rotations to get my money's worth out of it instead of losing the spare to dry rot. Of course, that requires matching rims all the way around.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
when i upgraded my tire size i went to local used tire place and got a cheap $20 used tire in the new larger size to have a same size spare. it would suck to get a flat on the rear and have to swap one off the front on the side of the road
Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Still running a stock sized spare, but plan on picking up a Treadwright in the proper size to use.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #13

thanks again all

...........for the other ideas. I'll look to the used tire shops for a used tire in 265-70-17 . And a steelie wheel for the spare . At least I'll have a same size tire for replacement , instead of doing the front to back swap .
Thanks again , tires will be ordered this saturday .Coopers - Discoverer ST/LT - C.