Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Nitto or BFG? *READ BEFORE YOU VOTE*

View Poll Results: Which tire is better?
Nitto 86 43.65%
BFG 111 56.35%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #21
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta throw my vote in the "other" column. The Toyo MT's are an excellent tire, super round, easy to balance, good in all conditions, for a mud tire. They are mean looking too, sidewall looks and works very good
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #22
tacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomonazul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luis
tacomonazul's Tacoma Gallery
NITTO for sure, I owned the km2 and liked better the nittos they are better looking IMO and quiet in comparison with the km2, don't know the weight difference but felt them pretty much the same and have heard they do good at snow.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #23
whammond is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Will
whammond's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned both the Trail Grapplers and the KM2s. I have also worked in tire service for 5 years. I have to say that IMO the Trail Grapplers are better tires. But they do both have their pros and cons.

Both tires are a fairly soft rubber compound compared to tires like Toyos or Coopers. Harder compounds are great for mileage and treadwear, however they give a very stiff ride. The softer rubber compound gives better wet weather traction and handling, as well as a better ride. Keep them rotated and they will last forever, as well as recommended tire pressure which can be found inside the driver side door jam. In my experience, BFGs are extrememly susceptible to shoulder and shock wear. So before you spend the money on high dollar tires, be asbsolutely sure that your shocks are in good shape, and of course always make sure your truck isnt too far out of alignment. Its good to always keep an eye on your tires wear pattern, because they do gain a memory of wear, and if it goes too far, theres no going back. I'm serious lol. I had the KM2s and the Trail Grapplers in a LT35x12.50x20 10 Ply on my half ton Chevy. The KM2s were definitely louder than the Nittos, and they seemed to ride the ruts in the road a little more. But I loved them in mud and snow. I also felt they wandered a little more than the Nittos did at freeway speeds. I got about 32,000 miles out of those. The Nittos, which are still on my Chevy, and have 25,000 miles on them and have well over half tread remamining on them. The Nittos are a lot quieter than the BFGs were. They also clean out really well when in the mud, snow, or gravel/rocks, compared to the KM2s, which is nice because you hold onto your traction that way. One downside to the Nittos is I dont think they are as agressive looking as the BFGs, however they do have a nice side lug. The nittos handled wet weather, snow and mud very well. Like someone else said, Nittos are a little heavier than the BFGs but their sidewall and tread plies are comparible in the same size of tire. Anyway--they are both good tires, but I for sure think the Nittos are better.

I bought my 07 DCSB with LT265/70R17 Cooper Discoverer STTs on it in a 10 Ply. Ouch. Way to heavy duty of a tire for that truck, but I figure I will wear these ones out and go with the Trail Grapplers or Dunlop's new Fierce Attitude M/T. I had to run these 10 plies down to 26 psi to soften up the ride, which isnt too bad because recommended is 29 psi. The Cooper tires are harder then hell, and super loud, but will go anywhere.

Geez, sorry for writing a novel guys. Hope I helped a little. If theres anyone in the Eugene, OR area in need of tires, PM me. I work at a tire store in the winter months after fire season.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #24
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i have terra grapplers in 265/75r16 LOVE THEM! around here they are great! loos gravel all good. i donít air down because i donít have anything to air back up with. i have done jeep trails and fire/ logging roads at 40mph running 35psi. i hardly ever need 4wd. even on some what steep gravel hills. mud they are good. have only lost traction in the rain one time, but it had just started and had not rained in like 5 or 6 weeks so lots of oil and stuff on the road, and it was in a sharp curve. i have even taken them on the tail of the dragon and done 35mph and had them screeching never lots traction, and if they are going to fail on dry roads they are going to do it on the dragon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWaldz View Post
The nittos are heavy ass tires. I went back and forth on them and decided for our underpowered yotas they just aren't practical. I do like the way they look better than the km2s though. I've never had km2's but I know plenty of people that are happy with them. You gotta keep them rotated. What size tire are you looking at? BTW, I had the bighorns in a 285 and I loved them. They were soft though and chunked really easy in the rocks. They still road great though. I'm use to loud tires by now.
i have have the LT265/75r16 and load range E i MAYBE lost 1 mpg. i canít tell that my truck takes off any slower or takes longer to accelerate or anything over the 265/70r16P rugged fails. one thing i can tell is the nittoís have better on road handling, better all around traction on road dry/ rain/ off road.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:14 AM   #26
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Never owned the Nittos but I had a set of KM2s. They were great in condition except ice in my experience. Where exactly is "Wild and Wonderful"? If you're not doing much off-roading and if you're dealing with icy conditions, I'd get the Nittos.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #27
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Never owned the Nittos but I had a set of KM2s. They were great in condition except ice in my experience. Where exactly is "Wild and Wonderful"? If you're not doing much off-roading and if you're dealing with icy conditions, I'd get the Nittos.
x2, unless you are going to off road all the time, i donít see the need for a M/T. i go up logging roads and stuff every few weeks just for fun, so i just went with the terra grapplers A/t when i lift iíll prob get the nitto trail grapplers m/t. because till i lift i wont be doing to much hard off roading.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #28
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
West Virginia. And since this post was made, I've been leaning towards duratracs
Old 09-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #29
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
BFGs tend to last longer than Nittos... I got close to 20k Miles on my KM2's and they still look fresh.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Bfg's in general are a good brand to buy from.

I can't speak for the KM2 personally, but I've had a great experience with three sets of the A/T. It's all I run from here on out.

Other than the ice, I haven't heard anything negative about the KM2.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #31
cr250mw2 is on a distinguished road

Name: Mike
cr250mw2's Tacoma Gallery
I like the nittos I've owned both and used them if snow and mud. Both really good tires but I think the nittos have an edge.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #32
"If you Didn't know,now you know"
blackhorse has a brilliant futureblackhorse has a brilliant futureblackhorse has a brilliant futureblackhorse has a brilliant futureblackhorse has a brilliant futureblackhorse has a brilliant futureblackhorse has a brilliant futureblackhorse has a brilliant futureblackhorse has a brilliant futureblackhorse has a brilliant futureblackhorse has a brilliant future

Name: Rick
blackhorse's Tacoma Gallery
I have been running Nitto Terra Grapplers on my yota for 3 years now... love em i've heard the bfgs have vibration issues, as well as Balenceing! nittos look good and run smooth.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #33
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the nitto trails and they suck in snow and ice, unless you sipe them which takes the point of a m/t tire away. If you have snow tires to put on in the winter then go for the nitto's but if you dont be prepared to drive like a grandma and in 4x4 all the time. An A/T tire would be a better choice for all around use which is what I learned after buying the trails.
I have blizzaks for winter time
Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #34
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
omg. trail and terra confusion. i hear good things on the km2's (my budy has had them on his chevy for-ev-er!) the TRAIL grapplers im sure would be just as outstanding if not more. everyone on hear seems to love them. nitto makes a great tire

but your leaning toward duratracs would be the best decision imo. if i could buy any tire in the world it would be that one. but im cheap and buy the walmart version. love em
Old 11-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #35
ekms377 is on a distinguished road

ekms377's Tacoma Gallery
The Nittos are skinnier and taller than the KM2s in the same size. Just FYI.
I have had both. Not sure if I like one better over the other yet. Just make it a personal preference.....whichever you like better.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #36
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #37
ERMAHGERD
DubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thayer
DubVtundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
West Virginia. And since this post was made, I've been leaning towards duratracs
dont get duracraps there horrible. they are very known for getting sliced open. i am from west virginia to and i have the trails. best tire i have ever ran and you wouldnt be sorry for getting them i promise you that
Old 12-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #38
ERMAHGERD
DubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shedDubVtundy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Thayer
DubVtundy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaTaco View Post
I have the nitto trails and they suck in snow and ice, unless you sipe them which takes the point of a m/t tire away. If you have snow tires to put on in the winter then go for the nitto's but if you dont be prepared to drive like a grandma and in 4x4 all the time. An A/T tire would be a better choice for all around use which is what I learned after buying the trails.
I have blizzaks for winter time
you must not know how to drive in the snow very well bcz my trails are awesome in the snow. deep snow, wet snow, and icy snow. never had a problem with them and this is the 2nd set ive had on my truck
Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #39
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Check ur weights. TG's are heavy bastards