Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Nitto or BFG? *READ BEFORE YOU VOTE*

View Poll Results: Which tire is better?
Nitto 86 43.65%
BFG 111 56.35%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Nitto or BFG? *READ BEFORE YOU VOTE*

Not needing tires real soon, but I do have my choices. BFG MT KM2s or Nitto Trail Grappler MTs? I like both, but I want to know which one is better. What's best for snow and rain? Which gets better mpg? Road noise isn't a big deal. I have maxxis bighorns right now and they're loud.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
KM2s are not good in icy conditions, but they are an overall good tire.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
desert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan Blagg
desert guy's Tacoma Gallery
BFG's!!!!!!!
Been running them for over 10 years. Nitto is not bad but BFG's I know are desert race proven!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert guy View Post
BFG's!!!!!!!
Been running them for over 10 years. Nitto is not bad but BFG's I know are desert race proven!
I'm not driving in the desert. Lol. I know what you mean though. I have the ATs on my old truck. Love them. Just want that MT look. lol
Old 08-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
desert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesert guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan Blagg
desert guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
I'm not driving in the desert. Lol. I know what you mean though. I have the ATs on my old truck. Love them. Just want that MT look. lol
Yeah I agree, I do like the look of the MT too. I have a couple friends that have the MT's, and they love them
Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Monotak is on a distinguished road

Name: Trent
Monotak's Tacoma Gallery
I have had both, I did not like my BFG's. They were loud, didnt wear well and expensive in my area. I put Nitto's on and they were amazing. Quiet on the roads, excellent traction in the loose stuff and amazing in the snow. I will never buy anything but Nitto's and Toyo's from now on.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotak View Post
I have had both, I did not like my BFG's. They were loud, didnt wear well and expensive in my area. I put Nitto's on and they were amazing. Quiet on the roads, excellent traction in the loose stuff and amazing in the snow. I will never buy anything but Nitto's and Toyo's from now on.
That's a good answer
Old 08-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Project.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shedProject.paradigm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Project.paradigm's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of Trail grapplers but i'm selling them and getting the BFG's. I like the look of the BFG's more and the main reason is i want 255/85R16. Both tires have similar off road handling characteristics. I would base your decision on looks and/or price. Also, i wouldn't run a mud terrain in icy conditions. Not sure where you live or what your winter is like though.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project.paradigm View Post
I have a set of Trail grapplers but i'm selling them and getting the BFG's. I like the look of the BFG's more and the main reason is i want 255/85R16. Both tires have similar off road handling characteristics. I would base your decision on looks and/or price. Also, i wouldn't run a mud terrain in icy conditions. Not sure where you live or what your winter is like though.
WV. Winters suck. Haha. And after having MTs, I don't think I could change. I like them too much
Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Monotak is on a distinguished road

Name: Trent
Monotak's Tacoma Gallery
Then again I have only had TerraGrapplers, kinda misread that
Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotak View Post
Then again I have only had TerraGrapplers, kinda misread that
Ahh, I see. READ!!!! Lol. It's cool
Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Both good tires, no personal experiences with Trail Grapplers... My KM2s are the best tire I've ever owned.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
CGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCGtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Avionics Tech
Name: Phillip
CGtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Live in kodiak AK, have KM2's and I know for sure that they do well in the snow, but when it gets icy (which it does here a LOT) you lose a lot traction, kinda sucks when driving up a steep hill. Road noise/MPG couldn't give you a answer short drives here and highest posted 55mph.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I'm on my 3rd set of KM2s now. No complaints. Rain, snow, mud, ice, sand...I've never had any issues with them. I will continue to get them for the foreseeable future.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, BFGs are the most proven tire in all conditions...nuff said
Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Source?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
you'll be spendin da monies on trail grap MT's, i have BFG AT KO's and they're awesome in everything I've put them through, rain, mud, gravel, sand, anything, i can only speculate the km2's are better in all of the above except for ice or rain
Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
PETEREDGE has a spectacular aura aboutPETEREDGE has a spectacular aura about

Name: PETER
PETEREDGE's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned both but the Nitto's are by far the better tire.They are smoother,less noisy,wear slower and balance easily.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I really want to vote for both, but since I have not owned the KM2's I can't. I have, however, owned the original BFG KM mud tires and they were by far the best tire I ever owned.

On the other hand, these trail graps from nitto have not let me down yet, I didn't put them through the tortures of the KMs (ran over nails, drove over a fire with red hot coals, had the truck slide to the side in mud and stick a sharp rock in the sidewall and no puncture) but after my Colorado road trip I can say they are a really good tire. No icy roads driven on either tire but plenty of rain, mud, sand, wet grass and 2 snow trips, the KMs had excellent wear, these trail grapplers are showing the same wear.

I got about 60k miles out of the KMs, I'm running just shy of 12k miles on the trails and they still look pretty new. I would estimate to get about 50k miles from the trails with about 10-15% tread left when I decide to get rid of them. My next set of tires will definitely be the KM2 since I have no reason not to believe they are better than the original KMs.

Road noise - these trail grapplers are a lot louder than the KMs but I actually kind of like 'road growl' and usually have my music turned up somewhat loud. I also like when I turn heads driving down the road. Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
The nittos are heavy ass tires. I went back and forth on them and decided for our underpowered yotas they just aren't practical. I do like the way they look better than the km2s though. I've never had km2's but I know plenty of people that are happy with them. You gotta keep them rotated. What size tire are you looking at? BTW, I had the bighorns in a 285 and I loved them. They were soft though and chunked really easy in the rocks. They still road great though. I'm use to loud tires by now.