Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Will be going with larger wheels tires (265/70r17), need to change spare too??

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
prince1331 is on a distinguished road
prince1331's Tacoma Gallery
Will be going with larger wheels tires (265/70r17), need to change spare too??

I just got a 2012 double cab trd sport. I have a lead on some 2012 fj cruiser rims that I like alot (17 inch gunmetal, 8 hole style, 17x7.5 offset +15), they are take-offs from a dealership. Tires are included in the deal. I'm considering going with the fj cruiser tires, even though they are slightly bigger. I realize it will make my speedometer read a little slow. It looks like several guys run this slightly larger tire here at TW.

I'm wondering about the spare. Would it do damage if I had to use my smaller (265/65r17) spare in case of a flat?? I actually don't know if our spares are full size, I assumed so. Would the larger tire fit in the same place under the truck as the current spare?

I could have all my stock rubber switched over to the fj cruiser rims, but I like the simplicity of putting them directly on, as well as less cost. It would also be easier to sell my stock wheels as they are.

The FJ cruiser rims have an offset of +15 so they'll stick out a bit wider on the truck (which I like) compared to the stock rims.

Thanks in advance for any input on this, especially if I am missing something important!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Just put the spare on the front if needed and don't put it in 4wd and you're fine.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Tasty fish in a tortilla
SalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSalmonTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
SalmonTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Just put the spare on the front if needed and don't put it in 4wd and you're fine.
....and your truck will look like this:

Old 08-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
prince1331 is on a distinguished road
prince1331's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, I thought it would be OK on the front. I'm coming from AWD Subaru's so its more complicated with them.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
RightCoaster is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
RightCoaster's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know if a 265 75 16 would fit as a spare underneath?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Swanson52 is a jewel in the roughSwanson52 is a jewel in the roughSwanson52 is a jewel in the roughSwanson52 is a jewel in the rough
Swanson52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightCoaster View Post
Anyone know if a 265 75 16 would fit as a spare underneath?
Since Tacomas came factory with that as one of the sizes, yes.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just buy an inexpensive used tire in the new size? That is what I plan on doing. Craigslist is full of used tires and often tire shops will have decent take-offs.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
RightCoaster is on a distinguished road

Name: Patrick
RightCoaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post

Thanks for the input, million dollar answer for me as I'm considering a purchase. Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
No they do not. They come with 265/70/16.

But yes a 265/75/16 does fit as a spare