Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How to understand metric tire sizes

View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?
Yes, I now understand how to convert sizes myself 351 56.80%
Yes, but I probably won't use this knowledge 38 6.15%
No, I didn't get anything out of this. 27 4.37%
TACOMAWORLD ROCKS! 330 53.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2009, 09:30 AM   #21
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
was just wondering what those numbers meant.. great post man
Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #22
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
StaticFilter's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html
Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFilter View Post
Actually, theres a size converter on our site... Its in the bottom of the "Mods & Tutorials" pull down at the top of the page
Old 11-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #24
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
StaticFilter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Actually, theres a size converter on our site... Its in the bottom of the "Mods & Tutorials" pull down at the top of the page
Yeah but that calc i posted tells me my 35x12.50R17 is a 318/72 R17 no calculations needed
Old 11-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Good Post Relentless!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #26
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motive View Post
Good Post Relentless!
Thanks man!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #28
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job!

I like de-coding the mysteries, too!

That's why I did this LONG signature explaining the '09+ drive system we Off Road 4WD Tacos have now!...
Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #30
JW07Tacoma is on a distinguished road
JW07Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
WOW, what an awesome place. Thanks for this info.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #31
Banned
ShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Forward Observer
Name: Casey
ShaShasBoo's Tacoma Gallery
I have always used this link to figure out tire sizes. Some of you might find it helpful.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...form_test.html
Old 03-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #32
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
awesome, thanks for clearing this up
Old 05-15-2010, 05:24 AM   #34
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
A nice, simple explanation! Much better than the one on Tire Rack, if I may say!

One other thing I found out though...'tire width' doesn't mean tread width. I was comparing new tires side by side: 'bone stock' 245/75/16 vs. 265/75/16 and 265/70/16 (the popular plus sizes for Tacoma's). Exact same tire...mfr. and brand.

I was surprised to find the 265/75 tread was quite a bit narrower than the 265/70 even though taller as expected. Checking Tire Rack again: the 265 refers to 'section width', an important distinction!

I suspect the shorter profile of the 70 series gives more sidewall support allowing the tread width (and contact patch area) to be wider for a given section width?

Just something to keep in mind when tire shopping!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #35
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread Eric!

If I might make a suggestion, can you expand your original post to include an explanation of the other info on the sidewall? Load range, treadwear rating, speed rating, date of manufacture. I think that would help folks out as well.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #36

Thanks for the recommendation, john. I'll probably add that stuff when I have enough time to do so.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:37 PM   #37
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, john. I'll probably add that stuff when I have enough time to do so.
Cool, I think that you have cleared up a lot of confusion for some folks here.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #38
4x4FishTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
4x4FishTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #39
Daniel Arthur is a jewel in the roughDaniel Arthur is a jewel in the roughDaniel Arthur is a jewel in the roughDaniel Arthur is a jewel in the rough

Name: Daniel
Daniel Arthur's Tacoma Gallery
THANK YOU!!!

Good Job In Explaining Tire Code. Just What I Needed.

Dan
Old 12-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #40
thebikeguy is on a distinguished road

thebikeguy's Tacoma Gallery
perfect write up! i am one of those guys that wasn't sure how to work this out. i always just typed it into a tire calculator. very simple now that i see it on paper. if anything, u helped one TW mbr.