Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How to understand metric tire sizes

View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?
Yes, I now understand how to convert sizes myself 343 56.51%
Yes, but I probably won't use this knowledge 38 6.26%
No, I didn't get anything out of this. 26 4.28%
TACOMAWORLD ROCKS! 325 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 607. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #42
Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary
VanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
VanillaGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
Very helpful, now I understand completely.. On a side note, that is a beautiful name you have there Eric.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #43
pdubya88 is on a distinguished road
pdubya88's Tacoma Gallery
265/70/16's with 3 in. lift

does anyone kno if 265 70 16's would look ok with a 3 inch lift? i just got the tires the other day brand new
Old 05-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #44
Russell F is on a distinguished road
Name: Russell
Russell F's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubya88 View Post
does anyone kno if 265 70 16's would look ok with a 3 inch lift? i just got the tires the other day brand new
That is the same size tire i have on my truck stock. It should look okay but the tires will look a little small unless if they are mud terrain. If it is a mud terrain the tread will make them larger than a radial or all terrain.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #45
i was thinking about getting the dick cepek dc1 rims in 17" but dont kno if i should get 265s
Old 05-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #46
or 16"
Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #47
That could work fine but you would get a much smoother ride with something a bit wider than a 265. But for the rims, 16 or 17 would look great. Keep in mind that the 17s will be a little more expensive so if you want to save a little more money and still get the same great look go with 16s
Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #48
Jack is on a distinguished road

Marines: 1st Law Enforcement Bn
Name: Jack
Jack's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking to buy new wheel at Tire Rack and the rims I'm interested in are 17x8 and the rec. tire size is 265/65-17. Will 285/70-17 tires fit on them?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I'm looking to buy new wheel at Tire Rack and the rims I'm interested in are 17x8 and the rec. tire size is 265/65-17. Will 285/70-17 tires fit on them?
yepp
Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 AM   #50
Off-Road Limo
Fistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shedFistgar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chance
Fistgar's Tacoma Gallery
Just did some math for my own self and figured I'd share.

upgrading from a 265/75/16 to a 285/75/16 will add 0.6 inches of height to your truck!
Old 08-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #51
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
so let me get this right... if its a 285 70 17....the first number is the width, second is height, and third is wheel size.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #52
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Alright Eric, I got one for you!

I just looked up revs/mile for the stock tires. I also looked up revs/mile on my new tires (actually, same overall diameter). If I take the revs/mile of old tire divided by revs/mile of new tire, I get a number. If I multiply that number by miles on trip, divided by gallons of fuel, I will have a correct mi/gal?

Example;
Old tire: 30.6" od, 680 revs/mi
New tire: 33.1" od, 628 revs/mi

680/628=1.0828

250 miles x 1.0828 = 270.7 miles

This is based on not calibrating the speedo.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #53
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Alright Eric, I got one for you!

I just looked up revs/mile for the stock tires. I also looked up revs/mile on my new tires (actually, same overall diameter). If I take the revs/mile of old tire divided by revs/mile of new tire, I get a number. If I multiply that number by miles on trip, divided by gallons of fuel, I will have a correct mi/gal?

Example;
Old tire: 30.6" od, 680 revs/mi
New tire: 33.1" od, 628 revs/mi

680/628=1.0828

250 miles x 1.0828 = 270.7 miles

This is based on not calibrating the speedo.
Actually, looking at the math of it, you're basically calculating the difference in circumference when you get the 1.0828... So then yes, thats an accurate way to calculate true miles traveled vs read on the odo when you're running the larger tires. Of course thats if the stock ODO reading is 100% accurate to start with with the stock tires, and its not quite accurate from the factory.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #54
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Actually, looking at the math of it, you're basically calculating the difference in circumference when you get the 1.0828... So then yes, thats an accurate way to calculate true miles traveled vs read on the odo when you're running the larger tires. Of course thats if the stock ODO reading is 100% accurate to start with with the stock tires, and its not quite accurate from the factory.
Whaaaa ? You mean I've probably been getting 42 mpg this whole time?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #55
Mate is one of the sharper tools in the shedMate is one of the sharper tools in the shedMate is one of the sharper tools in the shedMate is one of the sharper tools in the shedMate is one of the sharper tools in the shedMate is one of the sharper tools in the shedMate is one of the sharper tools in the shedMate is one of the sharper tools in the shedMate is one of the sharper tools in the shedMate is one of the sharper tools in the shedMate is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Canadian Coast Guard: Navigation Officer
Mate's Tacoma Gallery
Great post, thanks for the info.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #56
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for this thread. It helped a lot.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #57
lucarno is on a distinguished road
lucarno's Tacoma Gallery
i want to buy some bfg ta/ko's for my 2000 tacoma. can i run 32x11.5 on the stock 15 inch rims? my current tires are 31x10.5 r15. or is there some metric size that still gives me about an inch of clearance? thanks. oh yeah, do you think i'd get any rub? i was thinking of getting the billy 5100's all around. or is it more of a question of tire width?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #59
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOconvert2012 View Post
Thanks that really helps i actually was kinda wondering. SO my stock tire is 265/70/16 if i change to a 265/75/16 on the same rims will i ahve any issues with rubbing??
shouldnt have issue, if so it'll be minimal rub on the mudflaps.