Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How to understand metric tire sizes

View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?
Yes, I now understand how to convert sizes myself 344 56.58%
Yes, but I probably won't use this knowledge 38 6.25%
No, I didn't get anything out of this. 26 4.28%
TACOMAWORLD ROCKS! 326 53.62%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 608. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #61
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOconvert2012 View Post
Thanks that really helps i actually was kinda wondering. SO my stock tire is 265/70/16 if i change to a 265/75/16 on the same rims will i ahve any issues with rubbing??
I just barely put those size on with 0 offset rims and a TSB Leaf in the back, stock lift in the front. Rubbed on the front mudflaps only when turning. Took them off, no problems with rubbing
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #62
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
265/75/16 should not rub the fender or flaps with stock wheels
Old 05-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #65
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
arrrghhh's Tacoma Gallery
tire size calculator

I've always just used a tire calculator. There's another one that'll show you comparatively the difference in tire size.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #66
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The thread is meant for people to be able to understand what the numbers mean more so than just derive what size a particular tire is
Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #67
Mudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMudman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mudman's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for sharing. I always forget this stuff
Old 08-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #68
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
I found this calculator on a vw parts site, I thought it was particularly handy for tire calculations and gear ratios

http://www.piersideparts.net/veedub/X-gearcalc.html

you just have to scroll down to see the calculator
Old 11-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #69
trunk monkey
thatguy0o0 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Matt
thatguy0o0's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet now I know. I still think I am going to leave it to the local tire and suspension experts to do what they do best lol. Still awesome detailed information, pretty easy to understand, thanks for the write up.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #70
99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed99TacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
99TacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #71
GRAFH is on a distinguished road
GRAFH's Tacoma Gallery
I just tried the calculator and it wont let me use 31 x 10.5 x 15 as my current size.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #72

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAFH View Post
I just tried the calculator and it wont let me use 31 x 10.5 x 15 as my current size.
It's a metric tire size calculator
Old 11-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #73
GRAFH's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so what is the metric equivalent of 31 x 10.5 x 15 ?

31" is the outer diameter of the tire?

10.5" is the width of the tire?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #74

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAFH View Post
Ok so what is the metric equivalent of 31 x 10.5 x 15 ?

31" is the outer diameter of the tire?

10.5" is the width of the tire?
http://www.metrictireconversion.info...re-conversion/

Looks like 265/75/15
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #75
GRAFH's Tacoma Gallery
Got it! Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #76
Scentdogs is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
Scentdogs's Tacoma Gallery
This is great info but complicated. if you go to the Cooper web site, they have a table that shows i.e. 265/65R17 equivelent in inches much easier than doing the math. I put 245/70R17 on for snow tires. Wanted to make sure the diameter was equivalent. checked the Cooper table and it told me that the '245' is 1/10th smaller and 1" narrower than the '265'.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #77
Dezert Toy Fabrication
DTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTFtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
DTFtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Tacomaworld ROCKS!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #78
Tacoma Jack is on a distinguished road
Name: Jiff
Tacoma Jack's Tacoma Gallery
How about the specs for the rims on a truck?

Where do I find rim information? Is this embedded on the rim itself? For example, I want to know what my rims are made out of, and the name of the rim. Thanks for helping.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #79
GRAFH's Tacoma Gallery
Call a toyota dealer and give them your vin.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #80
Tacoma Jack is on a distinguished road
Name: Jiff
Tacoma Jack's Tacoma Gallery
Rim.info

Is that the only way to figure this out?