Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

How to understand metric tire sizes

View Poll Results: Was this helpful to you?
Yes, I now understand how to convert sizes myself 351 56.80%
Yes, but I probably won't use this knowledge 38 6.15%
No, I didn't get anything out of this. 27 4.37%
TACOMAWORLD ROCKS! 330 53.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #81
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jack View Post
Where do I find rim information? Is this embedded on the rim itself? For example, I want to know what my rims are made out of, and the name of the rim. Thanks for helping.
Stock wheels or aftermarket ?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #82
Tacoma Jack is on a distinguished road
Name: Jiff
Tacoma Jack's Tacoma Gallery
Stock rims 2001 toyota tacoma xtra cab 2.4L. 4 cyl.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #83
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TacoDriver View Post
Jeremiah Johnson More kids need to watch this kind of movie
Old 03-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #84
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . . Sub'd
Old 04-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #85
boto is just really niceboto is just really niceboto is just really niceboto is just really niceboto is just really nice

Name: Philip
boto's Tacoma Gallery
wow great thanks,do a 33/11.5/17 will fit a 3 " lift if before a 285/70/17 was fitted ? sry for bad english, im french :P
Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #86
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Do you know what they call a 33" tire in France...

On a serious note, on paper the only difference is 33x11.5-17 being 0.3" wider than 285/70-17. In reality, all tire models deviate slightly from the standardized spec. Best bet is to go on TireRack.Com or the tire mfr's web site, and compare the actual tire width and diameter for your old and new tires.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #87
Airforce131 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirforce131 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirforce131 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirforce131 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirforce131 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirforce131 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirforce131 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirforce131 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirforce131 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirforce131 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirforce131 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Ex-Air Force AMMO
Name: Brad
Airforce131's Tacoma Gallery
Will 285/75/16 fit without rubbing on a 2.5 inch lift or will i need spacers?
Old 09-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #88
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforce131 View Post
Will 285/75/16 fit without rubbing on a 2.5 inch lift or will i need spacers?
That's been beat to death.... try the search function on the site and you'll find hundreds of replies to that very question.

It depends on your wheels you intend to run. On stock, you'll rub UCAs when steering. If you pick an aftermarket wheel with too little backspace you'll rub the body mount BAD as well as the bottom lip of the inner fender behind the bumper. Most guys with 285 rub the cab mount to some extent, so most cut/box it themselves or pay a shop to do it if they don't have the tools. I sell a CNC cut cab mount boxing plate if you need one.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #89
1man
1manjobTaco is on a distinguished road
1manjobTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good. I've been trying to put 22" on my taco with 3 inch lift. Does anyone know if it's possible to do that?
Old 09-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #90
The Past Through Tomorrow
JohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnyWayne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny
JohnnyWayne's Tacoma Gallery
This attached .pdf is what I have been using as well as the great explanation done by OP
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Metric to Imperial tire conversion chart.pdf (202.9 KB, 274 views)
Old 10-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #91
CelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud ofCelsisTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Info heavy= Causes me not to read it..
But hell yeah, TacomaWorlds the shit!!!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #92
Bfaxi is on a distinguished road
Bfaxi's Tacoma Gallery
Love, Love RelentlessTaco's original post.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #93
Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animal...
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, so I just thought I should mention;

It's important to remember that the first number is the tire's section width, NOT tread width. That means that it's the distance from sidewall to sidewall, NOT from the inside shoulder to the outside shoulder across the tread face.