Notices

Pls. help me decide on TIRES

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
ULtRaMan is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
ULtRaMan's Tacoma Gallery
Pls. help me decide on TIRES

Hey all, Im about to buy some new tires. Recently I was able to get the FJ SE Wheels. Im caught up in a dilemma. I have 3 tires that im locked on. I need help on deciding which is best. My first choice is the LTX M/S2, but I just don’t like how they look. The LTX A/T2 is a little bit better, but I love the beefy look on the BFG’s. My truck is my daily driver and I drive 90% on pavement. I love the look on the BFGs, but in the long run, will the Michelin’s be better (longer life)? Also are the BFG's loud on the highways? What’s your take on this, or if you have any other suggestions for tires let me know. (Will be selling my 17” Sport rims too, just to put it out there. No scratches, about 5k on them) Thanks in advance!
LTX M/S2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
LTX A/T 2
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+A%2FT+2& partnum=675R6LTXAT2V2&vehicleSearch=false&fromComp are1=yes
BFG ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO&partnum=675QR6ATAKO10&vehicleSear ch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Old 09-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Drop it Drop it Low
Dmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedDmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Branden
Dmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I choose what I recently bought. http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...91203&pc=11803

reasons: 55k mile warranty, excellent reviews.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
Peewee1618 is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Peewee1618's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with the BF ALL-Terrain. We use those on mostly all our work vehicles and even my personal Taco. They're not loud on the highway like other off roading tires (BF Mud Terrains, Grapplers) but gives you the same performance offroad.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewee1618 View Post
I would go with the BF ALL-Terrain. We use those on mostly all our work vehicles and even my personal Taco. They're not loud on the highway like other off roading tires (BF Mud Terrains, Grapplers) but gives you the same performance offroad.
I was concern about the loudness of the BFG's, thanks for clarifying that!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the BFG's. I love them . Quiet on the highway and great performance the few times i am off the pavement and i think they improved my ride.. they are so great my brother put them on his first gen when he needed new tires.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
I went with the BFG's. I love them . Quiet on the highway and great performance the few times i am off the pavement and i think they improved my ride.. they are so great my brother put them on his first gen when he needed new tires.
lookin more towards the BFG's now. thx for the input, but how's the longevity of the the tires though?
Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
schleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
schleygo's Tacoma Gallery
I had my BFG ATs for about 70k miles and they were done.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleygo View Post
I had my BFG ATs for about 70k miles and they were done.

wow thats pretty good! yea tirerack doesnt specify the mileage on the BFG's. I think im going to go with those.

Thanks all for the input!
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULtRaMan View Post
lookin more towards the BFG's now. thx for the input, but how's the longevity of the the tires though?
From some of the research i did when looking into the tires they got pretty decent ratings on longevity, which was a must for me because I'm a starving student without a lot of cash just sitting around. So far my have held up great. My buddy has had his on his truck for a few years now, done a lot more driving on them (on and a lot of off pavement) and they still look great. I don't live in the same town as him right now so I can't hop over and get a specific milage count on them or a pic, but if i could i would! His entire family actually has Toyota tacomas or older trucks, and they do a lot of field work and have them on every truck they own.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with these tires. I love them because they are:
functional
long lasting
quiet on the highway
great off road
great on road
look pretty damn beefy
and I think (although I may be biased) improved my ride

I looked at the links and it seems like the other two are pretty much the better end of the street tire category? I wasn't looking that close at it... but in all honestly, I think you would be very happy with the BFG's. Take it from a stranger on the internet, go with the BFG's! hahaha
Old 09-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinwc View Post
From some of the research i did when looking into the tires they got pretty decent ratings on longevity, which was a must for me because I'm a starving student without a lot of cash just sitting around. So far my have held up great. My buddy has had his on his truck for a few years now, done a lot more driving on them (on and a lot of off pavement) and they still look great. I don't live in the same town as him right now so I can't hop over and get a specific milage count on them or a pic, but if i could i would! His entire family actually has Toyota tacomas or older trucks, and they do a lot of field work and have them on every truck they own.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with these tires. I love them because they are:
functional
long lasting
quiet on the highway
great off road
great on road
look pretty damn beefy
and I think (although I may be biased) improved my ride

I looked at the links and it seems like the other two are pretty much the better end of the street tire category? I wasn't looking that close at it... but in all honestly, I think you would be very happy with the BFG's. Take it from a stranger on the internet, go with the BFG's! hahaha

thanks for that! yea I think im gonna go with the BFG's. All the inputs here have kinda made up my mind on them.

will post pics soon!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
Look at thread to see what tires may look like with these rims.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ets-seeem.html

these Tacos look good! Cant wait to get mines on!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #13
BORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shedBORNWILDGUY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
BORNWILDGUY's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the coopers at3 or atp much better tire, less money and a tread wear warranty. You can get them from discounttiredorect.com. They will match any deal and free shipping. I have had bfg's and I think they are over rated and the treadwear isn't that good. I have had a couple sets of coopers to include the ltz's on my Tundra and now the at3 on my new Tacoma and will continue to buy these.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #14
Danosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanosabre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Danosabre's Tacoma Gallery
I have the LTXs, they are great on the highway and in wet weather. They suck in the snow, IMO.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNWILDGUY View Post
Go with the coopers at3 or atp much better tire, less money and a tread wear warranty. You can get them from discounttiredorect.com. They will match any deal and free shipping. I have had bfg's and I think they are over rated and the treadwear isn't that good. I have had a couple sets of coopers to include the ltz's on my Tundra and now the at3 on my new Tacoma and will continue to buy these.

aw man, you givin me second thoughts now! I just dont want to invest on the wrong tires. Money doesnt grow on trees..
Old 09-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #17
The Messiah
tacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomatrd99's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I have had the bfg's. While a good tire on and off road, IMO they were quite heavy and expensive. Check out the Hankook Dynapro Atm's. I have them now. Performance is about the same and if you get the P rated version, they are much lighter and cheaper.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #18

so confused! reading the reviews on the hankook vs BFG's. Seems like both are good tires. some are more for the BFG's and some are more for the Hankooks. Which one's better?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #19
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
Let me throw one more at you Bridgestone Revo II's got over 70k when I had them on my old truck. They were excellent in all conditions.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #20
diesel tech
AddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud ofAddicTioN has much to be proud of

Name: wyatt
AddicTioN's Tacoma Gallery
BFF ats out of all those have some friends that have them and they r great tires.

Products Discussed in this Thread