Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

315/75R16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Review

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
315/75R16 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ Review

I just bought some new 315/75R16 MTZ's and seeing how no one really has a good review thread here for them I'd figure I'd make one for as long as I have them. Will review at 5k mile marks during the duration of their life. Tires will be subjected to on-road including highway driving as well as heavy off-roading. They will also be rotated every 4k.

Bought them from 4wheelparts for $1160 to my door with a $100 warranty that covers lifetime of all repairs as well as full replacement, no questions asked before half tread mark. I figured, what the hell.. wouldn't hurt.

Specs
Actual Measurement: 34.49x11.9
Weight: 67lbs
Ply: 10(E)
Tread Depth: 19/32

These are some seriously badass tires
Old 09-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Reserved for 5k and 10k mile review

5K Review
The tires are still doing great. I need to rotate them with this next oil change coming up. I've had about 4 trips to the offroad park with them and they have worked very well. I have noticed some minor chunking but that's to be expected. Still seeing even tread wear and no signs of defects or future problem areas. The road noise is still bout the same as when I bought them new.

I can also say they work VERY well in snow conditions. I was truly amazed. I played taxi cab the day after snowpocalypse hit us with a foot of snow here and the tires laughed at it. I'm still currently very pleased with them.

10K Review
Ok, So I think they are probably a little over 10k now. Just rotated them and threw some airsoft bb's in them for better balancing. They're still doing great. I have noticed they are getting a little louder. Doesn't bother me any but it's good to note. They're standing up pretty well to the abuse I've done to them. They have some chunking and cuts in the tread but it's hard to find a tire that wont do that when you beat them repeatedly against the rocks. Overall, I'm still very pleased with them and look forward to this winter season. I'll get some pictures of them up soon.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #3

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Reserved for 15k and 20k mile review
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #4

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Reserved for 25k+ mileage and additional notes (grant it they last this long )
Old 09-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
interested to see where this goes, this set was on my bronco when I bought it. Curious how the taco will handle them
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. Very kind of you to add to the overall knowledge base of the forum. Look forward to reading your observations.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. Very kind of you to add to the overall knowledge base of the forum. Look forward to reading your observations. If you happen to take any videos that demonstrate their performance, please post them up.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #8
Joshman35 will become famous soon enough
Name: Josh
Joshman35's Tacoma Gallery
I run the 33 12.5 17's and LOVE them!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Any updates on the tires?
Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
x2
Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #11

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
x2
Sorry guys, I never saw this at the top. Check the 5K Review above.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I can't seem to find that size listed on 4 wheel parts. Do you have a link?

Where did you have these mounted at?

I'm pulling the trigger on this same size, I'm very nervous about Sears or another chain store mounting these.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #13

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Haha you must not looked hard enough

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/LT3...2fT90000001479

I had Firestone mount them. Only bc I can walk back to my office when I drop my truck off there. They suck though so I'm putting airsoft bb's in them. I'd suggest that or an actual offroad shop that knows how to mount larger tires.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #14
nuckin futs member
RIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to beholdRIDDICK3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Stefan
RIDDICK3's Tacoma Gallery
whats the max mileage out of these tires?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #15
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
I got 50,xxx miles out of mine rotated them closely to every oil change. five thousand mile interval oil changes. 315/75/16 on my 07 4runner. good tire but I went ahead and bought something different this time around.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #16

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
50K! Wow, they must have been damn near bald when you got new tires. These probably wont last near as long since they play in the rocks.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 AM   #17
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
rotate them every 5k and keep a good alignment and yours will last for a while also. most of my miles were highway miles. maybe 100 miles offroad total.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #19

JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
Tires are doing great.. I'm actually bout to rotate them before a 3 day event at the ORV park next weekend. Pretty close to the 10k mark I think, if not over a little. I'll have to check my initial mileage written down somewhere. I'll take some pics of the tires and write a review soon for the 10k mark. Also, gonna be throwing these in once I get some time.

[/URL]
Old 05-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
why do you put stuff in the tires??? what is the benefit there?

Products Discussed in this Thread