Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Adding air to tires when cold

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
Samsonite...I was way off!
jmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud of

jmasterj's Tacoma Gallery
Adding air to tires when cold

Probably a dumb question but should you add air to tires when it is super cold out, say -15? My truck has been sitting outside in these conditions for a few days as well. I know that rubber loses its elasticity as it gets colder. My rears are a little on the low side and my pressure sensor light is on. I guess I don't want to risk a blowout or something like that.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
you can add air anytime.

remember as air temps drop, air contracts and your pressure will drop. as the temp rises, your air pressure will also rise.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
^^
what he said.

-15 is pretty damn cold -- don't go crazy filling them up tho...
Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Samsonite...I was way off!
jmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud of

jmasterj's Tacoma Gallery
Tell me about cold. It is supposed to feel like -45 tonight with the wind chill.
So right now the pressure is showing around 26ish and I usually run 32 in the rear, should I maybe put about 30 in?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
dang now thats cold.i wood air up to what the side wall calls for unless your tires have issues///cracks/gouges ect.i always TRY to have a long hose after the gauge so your face isnt in the tire waiting for the bang.hope that helped.stay warm,later
Old 01-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #6
9th level dungeon master
darkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to all

darkturtleninja's Tacoma Gallery
you got to be careful once it warms up the pressure will increase... i normally keep around 60 to 65 psi in my procomps.... i aired them up in the garage last time i was working on it and it was around 7degrees out... then a couple days later it got up to 65 degrees and i checked them and they were around 71psi which is way too much.... just be carefull and watch the temp. if the temp spikes up let some air out!
Old 01-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #7
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Go take a ride, heat up the tires and see what you end up with before you add air.