Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

You skinny 'tire'ers out there! 235's

* Tire Finding Tools Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
You skinny 'tire'ers out there! 235's

(Can skip to the bottom for main point)
I am currently in my first year of four years in college in Laramie Wyoming and snow will be an issue for me. Will be traveling down to CO a lot during winter as well.
I currently have 32x11.5 tires BFG AT's on my truck with little tread left. On a scale of 0-10 (10 being the best in snow) these get a 2 or so from me. I got stuck in such a little amount of snow it was ridiculous. It had almost no traction on packed snow.
Anyways I am going with 235/85/R16 GoodYear Duratracs. I have been a BFG lover at heart but these have the "severe snow use" rating on them and I'm impressed by that. And that they are more 'offroad tires' then other severe sun rating tires. (Getting for function not looks)
I've also read that skinnier tires aren't as great as wider tires at higher speeds. And that they don't do as well on asphalt, but...... not worried about mall crawlin'.

My question is how do you 235'ers like your tires being skinny? On the highway and on trails with or without snow?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Bino9905 is on a distinguished road
Bino9905's Tacoma Gallery
Ive only had my truck (99 4X4 TRD) a week and didnt have the cash for bigger tires, so I put some good year 235/75/15 ATs on it.
They feel fine on the road. I went hunting this morning and pulled my 5X8 trailer with 4 wheeler doing 75 mph and felt stable.
The old tires were 265 and my main concern is that I lost ground clearance.
I crawled under it to change my oil and it just felt too close to ground.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
What is the mpg like with the 235's?? Are they well suited for the 4 bangers?
Old 09-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Do they rub on a 05+ taco?
Old 09-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
552Jrider will become famous soon enough

Name: Jeremy
552Jrider's Tacoma Gallery
235's??????
I thought my 255's were narrow.guess not
Old 09-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy27 View Post
I think they would rub with no lift but even an inch life might fix that. Don't quote me on that though, I'm no expert on this subject. Since they are so skinny, they'd have less chance of rubbing. But what do I know?

Quote:
235's??????
I thought my 255's were narrow.guess not
Yeah this will be very new to me. Im not impressed with my 32x11.5 at all so maybe im a skinny tire guy. Then again they didn't have much tread. Front ones had the most at probably 50%. I'm also really excited to try a new brand of tires. I wanted to go with Toyo MTs but they apparently do great on the highway.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #7

brettb's Tacoma Gallery
I'll keep you guys updated with how these tires do. I currently have my truck at home so i'll first start out with how they do on the highway for two and half hours :P
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
I think they would rub with no lift but even an inch life might fix that. Don't quote me on that though, I'm no expert on this subject. Since they are so skinny, they'd have less chance of rubbing. But what do I know?

Yeah this will be very new to me. Im not impressed with my 32x11.5 at all so maybe im a skinny tire guy. Then again they didn't have much tread. Front ones had the most at probably 50%. I'm also really excited to try a new brand of tires. I wanted to go with Toyo MTs but they apparently do great on the highway.
curious. why go from a 11.5 to a 9.25? and what did u not like about the 32x11.5's?
Old 09-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #9

brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 552Jrider View Post
curious. why go from a 11.5 to a 9.25? and what did u not like about the 32x11.5's?
I'm going skinny because skinner tires do better in snow. They dont float on the snow and have more "pressure on the current tread on the road" since they dont distribute the weight over 4x11.5 tires. Instead its 4x9.5. And the BFGs did great on trails on wheeling in general but when it came to snow, they SUCKED. At everything. I got stuck in about 6 inches of snow and my buddy in his jeep didn't have a problem at all. He had skinnier tires and a heavier vehicle but still. HATED them in snow.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #10

OK 6 inches is weak. ive been in snow up to my diff and not had issues. and that was with 265 75 16 maxxis bighorn mt's
Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #11

brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 552Jrider View Post
OK 6 inches is weak. ive been in snow up to my diff and not had issues. and that was with 265 75 16 maxxis bighorn mt's
Yeah see. It was snow that had been plowed too. My buddy was parked righ by me and when he backed up, no problems at all. I got maybe 3 feet. I HATED those tires during the winter. Really stoked that I'm getting these snow tires that are skinny. I would like to perform in all situations pretty good haha
Old 09-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #12
ae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kimo
ae111black's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy27 View Post
try the tire calculator the 235 85 r 16 is like a 31.5x9" so it shouldnt rub at all even if stock. Most of if not all of the tires in that size range are gonna be load range E so your gonna take a hit gas milage wise for sure.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #13

brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae111black View Post
try the tire calculator the 235 85 r 16 is like a 31.5x9" so it shouldnt rub at all even if stock. Most of if not all of the tires in that size range are gonna be load range E so your gonna take a hit gas milage wise for sure.
Yeah that's a big con as well. Definitely makes the 265/75 a size choice as well. I just can't decide. Leaning more towards the 235's but idk how much mpg ill lose. I hear about 2mpg. Anyone can confirm the mpg loss?
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #14

brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
no it isnt as much as you think. i got me best gas mileage with the 235's than i ever got with the 265s on it. they are narrower and cut through the wind better. at least thats my theory. i get 16-20 mpgs with a heavy right foot. The stiff/strong sidewall is something i want because i wheel my truck. however, i have a few hundred off pavement air downed miles on them and the sidewalls have really softened up to my liking.

Also another note to make is they will fit our trucks on stock suspension. They may look extra awkward on a second gen just due to how much bigger they are relative to the tire.
What do you all offroad on? Have you ever experienced snow with those skinny tires? And what load range are your tires? These duratracs have much higher max load per each tire then the 265/75s
Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #15
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced my stock dunlops with same size 245/75/16 in C LT load. I too wanted skinny for snow.

For my driving 245 are fine summer and winter.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah that's a big con as well. Definitely makes the 265/75 a size choice as well. I just can't decide. Leaning more towards the 235's but idk how much mpg ill lose. I hear about 2mpg. Anyone can confirm the mpg loss?
What about 255's or 245's? If you're concerned about the Load E rating, you could probably find either a 255 or 245 series tire with a lighter load range so you get the skinny tire and still stay with a lighter weight tire.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #17

brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ive run them in just about everything you can besides really deep sand. in snow mine kick ass as long as i dont get into really deep powder. these tires cut straight through the snow and that can be a benefit and it cant be the aceles heal. ask me how i know

my bfg's are E rated. After running these for 13,000+ miles already, i wouldnt put another goodyear on my truck. these tires are THAT good.
Bfg AT's right? Yeah Goodyear is new for me but I guess I'll see as well. I hear mixed reviews but I like that these have the rare'ish' snow rating. I wasn't impressed by my bfg AT's but they were wider and didnt have much tread
Old 09-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #18

brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
What about 255's or 245's? If you're concerned about the Load E rating, you could probably find either a 255 or 245 series tire with a lighter load range so you get the skinny tire and still stay with a lighter weight tire.
There are no 245's or 255's in the height size i want. Just 265's
Old 09-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #19
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There are no 245's or 255's in the height size i want. Just 265's
Sorry about that, you're right. You'd have to go taller or shorter for the 245's or 255's. My bad
Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #20

brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Brett are you going to ditch the body lift when you get these. technically you have 6 inches of lift according to what you listed. i dont think these would look very good on that type of lift.
I don't keep TW updated very well. My POS body lift is already off

It's hard hearing negative things about tires. It makes it super hard to choose. I personally would want to go with KM's but I won't be offroad too much according to how much I'm on the highway. I'll just take the bite on these duratracs and if they don't perform, my loss. You can't really know till you try them. If they don't work I'll get KM's

Products Discussed in this Thread