Mud tires and Gravel

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Deer Dropper
TACO3 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
TACO3's Tacoma Gallery
Mud tires and Gravel

I have 305/70 cooper stt's and when Im going a steep gravel road they feel like they have no tread at all but they have plenty... i had a dodge 1500 with 33" mud tires and they did the same thing. But ive been putting it in 4wd and it goes fine.. Any one else have this problem? Are MTs just that bad on gravel? Is it just the tires or what?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Gravel is a difficult terrain for any tire to handle. It's about as equivalent to driving on marbles as you can get in the natural world. An A/T might perform slightly better due having more contact patch with their closer spaced tread design.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Deer Dropper

TACO3's Tacoma Gallery
yeah that is true. :/
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
you gotta also remember, your hind-end is light. so there aint much to keep it from slippin a lil. haha what does a 305/70/16 measure up to?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Deer Dropper

TACO3's Tacoma Gallery
Yes very light trucks.... a 305 last i looked is about 33.7.. i had mine sittin next to my buddys who has 33x12.50's an mine are noticeably bigger
Old 09-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
I think a 305 is a little excessive. I go everywhere I need to and more with just 265's.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
MTR Kevlars are incredible in gravel.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
I think its mostly because there isnt much weight in the back of a truck. therefore less traction
Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Deer Dropper

TACO3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maticuno View Post
I think a 305 is a little excessive. I go everywhere I need to and more with just 265's.
but bigger tires = sexier truck
Old 09-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
265s were great! But somes you really do need more clearance. Ive got 315's now....
Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #11
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Trucks have no weight in the back end, that is unless you load em down. Since they have no weight, they have no traction. Has absolutely nothing to do with tires. All the weight is up front. Its a problem with most all trucks, and its something you learn to live with by using 4WD. The only way around it is to load a few sacks of concrete or whatever in the back of the truck. Many people do this during the wintertime as a precautionary measure.